My chair!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

My chair!

Postby clothmama » Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 am

When I was a very little girl (maybe 5 or 6) I lived in Sydney with mum and in the flat above was an old man, he had a cute little chair that he gave to me (we used to go up and visit him - not sure his family bothered much :( ). Anyway mum has been carting it around for the last 30 years and finally it has come home! It is gross as in really grotty, but I love the shape and size, just perfect in the bedroom to sit your clothes on or use at a dressing table. It is gorgeous hard wood underneath and J has undone it all (keeping the material for me to make the template), it even has the ancient tag saying it came from Grace Bros department store! The other thing was when we took it all apart is that there is an even older chair base under (with engraving) that is a bit tatty so obviously the covering was not original to start with, I'd love to know how old it is, my guess is at least 100 years (it was his mothers and he must have been 80 30 years ago), possibly 150. Here are some pics:

SO the big question is - what to cover it in? J suggested stripes but I dont' like stripes (and the thought of lining them all up makes me :panic: :hohoho: I did think of damask but in a fun colour but I think it would be too much for a little chair. My other ideas are something funky like MM's birds, or toile de jouy, or perhaps a linen / natural looking thing. I'm thinking it will not be recovered for a long time so need somehting that would be nice for ages and not get outdated or I get 'over it' in 6 months! Would love your ideas ladies!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: My chair!

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Oh nice! I love old stuff like that, and even better that you have such a lovely story to go with it.

I'd be tempted to make something quite classic and lasting, toile de jouy or linen as you say, or a pale damask.

A velvet in a funky colour might work well to liven it up though - a rich colour with contrast buttons? As it's 'flatter' than damask and no pattern, i think a colour would look fine, not too overwhelming. Depends on the room it's going in I guess.

For draping on the bottom bit though, the linen option is probably easiest.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:32 pm

How fantastic to have such a lovely chair with lovely memories attached :D

I have no idea what to cover it in, but did chuckle at 'the grace bros department' is that not from 'are you being served'? :giggle: x

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Think I would cover it in something bright, but I love bold bright colours.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri May 11, 2012 9:47 pm

I would use a deep colour velvet, purple maybe and buttons in a contrast liker teal or yellow. Not sure about the skirt though, it has such pretty legs!

My avatar
Star02
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Star02 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 pm

That's lovely, what a great project. Would love to see it when it's finished! X

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Even though I love brights I would probably cover it in a pale colour, something linen and soft. It's such a lovely chair and a really lovely story that goes with it.
xx

Return to Home Improvements