hf1

Too much brown!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Too much brown!

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

After procrastinating since January, dh has finally painted our family room! We sold our old couch to fund 2 'new to us' couches, and the cream rug from our front room has been moved through (it's a bit worn, so figured was better in there), so for much cheapness the room is looking fab (cream/brown/duck egg). :yahoo: This is after 5 years of it being a bit blah.

BUT! In the front room we got a new rug to replace the one that went to the family room, and I don't like it :(

I looked for ages, but it's a big room needing a massive rug, and this is literally the only one we could afford. It's beigey goldy brown, the curtains are textured brown and so is one wall. The other walls are a mushroom colour. Couches are cream, furniture is mainly walnut, wooden floors underneath rug. So, it's now a vision of brown/beige and it's just TOO brown. The prints on the walls are colourful funky landscapes, but that's the only colour. To protect the cream couches they have brown throws.

Help!!!

Repainting in there isn't an option cos we've too much baby prep to be doing, new curtains are impossible cos it's a huge bay and they'd cost a bomb. So cushions and sofa throws are my only options. But I'm having a mental block about colours!

Russet? Sage? Gold? Teal? Live with it? Something else?

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Too much brown!

Postby bekhi1983 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 pm

I have green with the brown in my dining room, it's in between an olive and a lime. The room now reminds of chocolate/lime sweets.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:02 pm

I have Green with my Browns too. xx

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Could you pick out one or two of the colours in the pictures? Maybe that would work :)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Ooh, lime!

Might be too strong, but I like - maybe an olivey sage would work....

Thanks!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:24 pm

We have a bay which needs 90" x 90" curtains and got some for £45 in our local linen warehouse
http://www.yorkshirelinen.com/curtains

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Wow! Such reasonably priced curtains!

Drop still too short though :(

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Dark red or terracotta?
We need a photo of the rug! :D

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Having just got rid of red in the other room, there's no way I'm going for red! The problem with the rug is that in some lights it's pale gold. And in others it's brown. Ordered online and it looked pale gold on the dunelm website!

Hang on til I try to work out how to upload a photo....

Next

Return to Home Improvements