hf1

Talk to me about underfloor heating and help find a kitchen.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Talk to me about underfloor heating and help find a kitchen.

Postby northernruth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm

I designed both our kitchens at this house and the last, it's not too hard. Is there anywhere else you could put a washing machine? Ours is in the downstairs loo and it's so much better than having it in the kitchen. Otherwise the main thing is to think of a working triangle, between the fridge the cooker and the bin! ideally you want to prep next to the hob but not have to go far to get to the fridge or the sink, but I use the bin more than the sink so that's my mantra!

I used Ikea for both kitchens but it depends if you plan to fit them yourself, the cupboards don't have a recess at the back for piping as in Sweden the piping is in the walls, so if you have a run of water pipes you have to chase out the back of the cabinet. I planned ours with square paper and their cut out paper units, but I'm sure you'd find an online planner now.

The other thing is, I have a bigger kitchen now than at our last place but the work surface isn't great, you are best with one long runof worksurface. We had a window on one side of our kitchen in the old house that meant we couldn't have wall units on that run and it was great, meant you didn't feel overshadowed.

As for the larder, could you have a long narrow unit built in just by the door where you go in with an MDF door on a push and release hinge, that way you could paint it the same colour as the walls. Or sometimes it's possible to "pinch" space from the next room, eg understairs, and put a larder in there.

Previous

Return to Home Improvements