hf1

New bed!

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: New bed!

Postby fivefourfour » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 am

I would always say spend a lot on a bed and mattress as you're in them so much and your quality of sleep is so important.

Look at how much you can afford and then go to a more expensive place when they have an offer on.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 pm

fivefourfour wrote:I would always say spend a lot on a bed and mattress as you're in them so much and your quality of sleep is so important.

Look at how much you can afford and then go to a more expensive place when they have an offer on.

This!
We had an ikea bed and it was a pita! The mattress is wider than standard so buying bedding is hassle. We got rid after 2years as it was so uncomfortable! We just went to unicorn in Manchester and got a purple king size bed with matching headboard, 4 drawers and a luxury mattress (i have a bad back due to a car accident) all for under £700 delivered. Very very happy with it! X

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Yep, best you can afford.

We've had a few inc an ikea memory foam one which i hated it - after 2yrs it was sagging and by the end of the 3rd year i was in so much pain it went and we bought a really expensive one (well, i thought it was really expensive at £1,200 and omg it was/is fantastic (It's on Scarlett's bed now - lucky girl!))

Where to buy from tho, i have no idea as we ended up getting ours from Bensons which is just like any other mattress retailer i guess BUT... when the time came to get one for our super king bed i knew i wanted the same mattress and actually bought it from an ebay for £400 which is a bargain, especially for a super king.

I would suggest you do some googling about spring density etc and that will help you eliminate SO many mattresses. I cant remember now but theres something about 'x' springs per inch or whatever which helps determine the support quality. A mattress with less springs puts more pressure on the springs so they sag/break etc where a mattress with lots of springs will distribute the weight better.

No one can really suggest a mattress to you as everyone likes a different kind. My hubby prefers a firm one, i like medium so we have a medium-firm fully sprung memory foam mattress with quilted cover.

Yeah so, once you know the spring do'dahs you can have a good bounce about in store then search for other mattresses online etc and not feel like you *have* to buy one in a shop.

Good luck, i really hate mattress shopping as it can be very expensive and you dont know if you like it until you've bought it :-? :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Uurrgh I hate bed shopping. We both liked ours in the shop -it was Dreams mattres in the sale!! We had a solid oak frame bought from an outlet place which is fab! But 3 years later it's not that comfy &the matress was over £500. Once I am back at work we may look into finding a better one but u often can't tell I think until u have slept on it for a while!

Previous

Return to Home Improvements