hf1

Painting Cupboards

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Painting Cupboards

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 am

I think its @Rox that I need for this :D I have wooden cupboard doors and I want to paint them, has anyone any tips of how to do it.

All I know (i think) is I need to prime it first then some good quality paint.

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Painting Cupboards

Postby Jellybelly6 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:29 am

Yes, you need the special primer (for cupboard doors that have that plasticky coating on them) and then one of these mini rollers with the sponge roller sleeve for gloss, the colour you want and a bit of time and care.

I did my doors that hide the water tank and hot water cylinder in my kitchen when we renovated the kitchen last year and they look fantastic. I just used Dulux gloss and it was fine. :D

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am

I painted the boys furniture years ago - I gave it a good wash, waited until it was dry then used a light sandpaper all over, primed gave another light sandpaper and then 2 coats of paint. I used mini rollers too :) Am planning on painting the furniture in our bedroom next year so if there is a faster way that would be great to know :)

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:33 am

Oh thanks, our doors are wood, what primer did you use? I did not want gloss, runs off to look at what I do want :giggle:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 am

eviesmummy wrote:I painted the boys furniture years ago - I gave it a good wash, waited until it was dry then used a light sandpaper all over, primed gave another light sandpaper and then 2 coats of paint. I used mini rollers too :) Am planning on painting the furniture in our bedroom next year so if there is a faster way that would be great to know :)

Thanks Sadie, I think :giggle: thats how I planned on doing it. I am so scared of messing them up.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:44 am

It depends on the condition of the wood really and the paint you want to use.

I didnt prime the wood in Scarlett's bedroom because i wanted to use wood/metal eggshell which is a bit tougher than emulsion. It also has better coverage so 2-3 coats of that does the trick. Her pieces were all old and had been varnished or were veneer so a good sand down did the trick before painting.

If the wood youre painting is more modern, has a finish, is already painted or not in great condition a primer would be good and you will want to prime anything that youre planning to use emulsion on otherwise it wont adhere at all.

For gloss/eggshell i would always used a brush, for emulsion i would use a roller - you'll get a nicer finish.

Just take your time, allow 24hours between coats and it will be good. Oh and if using gloss/eggshell a light sanding between coats will give a smoother finish.

Theres loads of tutorials online about painting furniture. Some insist on primers, others dont - maybe find one thats similar to the one you want to paint and see what it suggests x

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks Rox. I would say they are in ok condition. They are oak doors very similar to these

I want to paint them a cream colour but have no clue which paint is best. It sounds like wood/metal eggshell would be better as they are kitchen doors. Do you agree?

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 am

Yes, i think so - for the moisture resistance too tho if you want that really flat matt look of emulsion you could have a look to see what finishing protective coats there are available?

... and i just thought, who am i talking to - you paint wood all the time!?! LOL.

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 am

:wave:

I think removing all loose stuff, dirt/grease and the key you make with sand paper are the most important things whatever the surface. I use pretty fine grade wet and dry with water even on furniture because I have it hanging around for car stuff, it lasts longer and leaves less grit and scratches than cheapo sandpaper. Let the surface dry thoroughly before you paint it if you're not using a water based paint.

I use something similar to this for all sorts of things from car body panels to furniture and it'll take all sorts of different paint. It'll give you a very good finish but you'll need a compressor to use it.

Very cheap on ebay these days too :)

A fine roller is good too or even a sponge. I even use a brush on occasion :) It really depends on the effect you want.

Wood can be painted with a lot of different types of paint. Acrylic paint is probably good if you need to wash it or you want it water proof and don't want to use horrid gloss. I like to use a primer because they generally make for a tougher finish that is less prone to damage or peeling and they help give a more uniform finish using less paint if you use the right colour.

Next

Return to Home Improvements