hf1

Painting Cupboards

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Painting Cupboards

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 am

Rox wrote:... and i just thought, who am i talking to - you paint wood all the time!?! LOL.

I know :hohoho: I am just petrified of ruining the kitchen, Dave would be furious!! x

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:11 am

Mr Clothmama wrote::wave:

I think removing all loose stuff, dirt and the key you make with fine sand paper are the most important things whatever the surface. I use pretty fine grade wet and dry with water even on furniture because I have it hanging around for car stuff, it lasts longer and leaves less grit and scratches than cheapo sandpaper. Let the surface dry thoroughly before you paint it if you're not using a water based paint.

I use something similar to this for all sorts of things from car body panels to furniture and it'll take all sorts of different paint. It'll give you a very good finish but you'll need a compressor to use it.

Very cheap on ebay these days too :)

A fine roller is good too or even a sponge. I even use a brush on occasion :)

Wood can be painted with a lot of different types of paint. Acrylic paint is probably good if you need to wash it or you want it water proof and don't want to use horrid gloss. I like to use a primer because they generally make for a tougher finish that is less prone to damage or peeling and they help give a more uniform finish using less paint if you use the right colour.

Thanks Joel. Could you imagine me with a spray gun :nono: I would spray everything in sight x

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 am

Eggshell is my preferred finish for furniture (I buy junk pieces to do up) but it is harder to work with than satinwood which has a similar finish.

I've only ever primed one thing, and USUALLY it is fine. But if there are any obvious knots in the wood, get 'knot stop' as it saves you some heartache a few weeks later when sap comes through as it did on my antique wardrobe!

I only varnish on top if it's a high traffic item, and prefer spray varnish as its easier to do lots of thin coats this way. I use a matt finish.

Good luck!

(I often don't bother with sanding first and nothing bad has happened!)

My avatar
mythreelittlemice
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mythreelittlemice » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 am

I recently painted my kitchen cupboards which are coated MDF. Different that wood obviously, but I sanded them and used a kitchen cupboard paint. It has given a gloss finish but I love the overall look as they have gone from nasty pine effect to cream which looks great with my black and white checker board floor! I also added blackboard panels to my top cupboards using blackboard paint which is great for all the reminders I need to leave myself :giggle:

Fi x

Previous

Return to Home Improvements