hf1

Bay windows, uPVC and curtains/voiles

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Bay windows, uPVC and curtains/voiles

Postby JabberJabber » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 pm

We have a lovely bay window in our front room but I am having problems with putting up curtains and voiles.

The upvc window frame reaches to the ceiling of the bay, so no spare plaster / wood above the frame on which to attach things.

So, tonight I tried to use this http://www.dunelm-mill.com/m/shop/curta ... kit-222978 to put the net wires up for the voiles, but the blasted things wouldn't stick. I'd tried after cleaning the window frames, but still no luck. Any idea what I could do next?

Also, how has anyone else added curtains in a bay window where the curtain rail would have to be attached to the ceiling. What did you use and do you have pictures?

Thanks in advance.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Bay windows, uPVC and curtains/voiles

Postby chocmuffin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 am

We just stewed the bracket into the UPVC :lookround:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 am

In our old house the bracket was screwed in to the upvc, ikea do a funny track thing with curtain panels that screws in to the ceiling. That's terribly described but I will find the link later

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 am

We screwed into upvc here too

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am

If you get a curtain pole rather than a track you can screw the brackets into the ceiling. net cords can be run from eyelets that screw into the UPVC altho they look a bit odd. ALternatively what about roman blinds? the batten can be screwed to the ceiling there.

Alternatively you could get a joiner to fit a batten all around the top of the bay (so the batten is fixed to the ceiling) and then you could fit a double track to that. It wouldn't stand any prouder than a pole would. YOu could get it boxed in with a pelmet if you don't like the look of curtain rails

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

You can do either, screw into the upvc or ceiling. The ceiling can be much harder to drill into though depending on where the lintels are.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Is our nets - hook and eye screwed into uPVC with wire stretched

Return to Home Improvements