hf1

Front room

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Front room

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm trying to decide what to do next in the house, and although it will be a pain, I think we need to start on downstairs.

We have quite an open plan living space downstairs, but the front room is separated by some (french?) doors, so seems easiest to do. This room is meant to be the more adult space, but will have the TV in it.

We've decided that we will try and get the basic structure of each room as good as possible, even if the furniture isn't there yet.

So, apart from taking lining paper off, smoothing walls and repainting walls and wood, I'm a bit stuck.

So, either side of where the fire was, we will have shelves for books, CDs, ornaments etc. I'm going to get someone to build them to fit the alcoves and to go to about 2m high!

There used to be a fireplace in here, but it was removed at some point. A cupboard and a little alcove were put in, instead. The cupboard is poorly constructed and whatever way, I want them both out.

So, do I have it all filled in to become a flat wall or do we put one large cupboard in? We don't want a fireplace in here as it will be too 'busy'

So, thoughts please, and if you have any examples of things you think would look good, please show me!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Front room

Postby sim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Could you use the chimney breast to mount a flat screen TV? This would give you more floor space.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Well we put a fireplace back in as the room was desperate for one!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151363920361001&set=vb.592841000&type=3&theater

However if you didn't want one, I'd be using it for storage rather than wasting the space.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:20 pm

@Sim I know what you mean about giving us more floor space, but we'd prefer not to have the TV wal mounted. We are lucky that we have a whole other living room too linked to the front room.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 pm

I'd be tempted to knock it out as a fireplace, but just skim the insides and then have a basket of wood, or some candles in it.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Or you could go with what we've got! Abit like the one Simone's post with the TV at the top & recess at the bottom, only I never seemed to have got round to putting something nice in it & it has a toy garage in there! :giggle:

There's a pic of it on here if you wait for the pics to scroll http://www.childminderindeal.co.uk/inde ... %20Setting

Return to Home Improvements