My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

What grey for kitchen units?

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Originally I planned to have these cupboards from Ikea for the kitchen:
I then realised that I already have a good start on kitchen doors with what is in our exxisting kitchen and they are solid oak so we have been collecting matching ones in order to make a bigger kitchen. I'm still going to get the carcasses from Ikea as I love the quality and the storage solutions in them but I'm going to paint the oak fronts. My only concern with the original Ikea doors was the grey being so dark so I'm thinking a lighter shade. What do you guys think? some of these colours are nice (the very pale grey is pretty much what I'm doing all the exterior windows and French doors). To make it even scarier choosing I actually am mixing the colour myself as paint here is really expensive and not great so I have bought the German made (excellent according to reviews) Lidl kitchen and bathroom paint which only comes in white and I'm going to tint it myself ( :loopy: :panic: )!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: What grey for kitchen units?

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:30 pm

A quick colour check in photoshop tells me that the colour on the cupboard and the big paintbucket on the top left are almost the same :)
But I might go with the even darker on the bottom left :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm worried that it will be too dark :-? I hate making decisions! :doh:

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:42 pm

I always go for lighter with things like this, I suppose this because we live in a tiny house.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:43 pm

:giggle: I know that feeling

That is why our kitchen is white :hohoho:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:44 pm

If its a big room I would dare the darker if its small like ours then light colour :)

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:17 pm

I always go light! So my vote would be the off white.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Which room is this kitchen going in and how much light will it get?

What colour counter top, wall and floor are you planning?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Hopefully we can get enough doors to do both kitchens (and as I'll have mixed it use the same paint), one is small but light and the other is big (30m2) but not a huge amount of light.

@sim our updated plans are to put a summer kitchen in the room at the back next to the bathroom, which we were calling the 'garden room' when you were here and had / has all our garden tools (with a door through to the current kitchen / living) and move the current set up in there. We are then going to do the 'proper' kitchen in the room next to the bit we are living in (where the bins / wood is - I think that was the plan when you were here) so we can make the house moduable and rent out the proper kitchen with bedroom above (the room with the fireplace), hopefully with a mezzanine above for a single bed or 2 and ensuite bathroom in the summer and just live in our current bit when it is rented :widesmile:

autumnalgirl wrote:I always go light! So my vote would be the off white.

I think there will be quite a lot of that so I'm thinking the mid will be a good option!

Watch this space!

Next

Return to Home Improvements