The office / guestroom - update visitor ready pg 3

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: The office / guestroom - update 24/04

Postby clothmama » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:51 am

Aeseldyr wrote:WOW you have gotten far on the big project :yahoo: looking good- both the room and you :thumbsup:

LOL thank you Marie! I'm amazed at how different the room looks already with so much nasty grey concrete gone! Am very excited to see the rest of the work finished, window in (reminder to self to go paint it!!) etc :widesmile:

JabberJabber wrote:international man of mystery.

You busted his cover @JabberJabber :giggle:

JabberJabber wrote:Is this the first time you have done this sort of renovation?

No this is the 3rd French house but I've just never rendered before (J had always done it on his own as I tended to have little babies - one baby per house!) and we weren't as into doing it all as naturally as we are this time so we used more plasterboard in the others. This time we are hoping to get it right and do it right and we handily have 2 big boys to watch Rémy so we can both crack on with big jobs like this one! I'll try to dig out some pics of the other houses to share!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:37 am

That's cool Tory. Are the boys into DIY and renovation?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:35 pm

JabberJabber wrote:That's cool Tory. Are the boys into DIY and renovation?

Not us much as we'd like LOL but getting better! Josh is a big help (when we can get him going!!).

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue May 03, 2016 10:26 am

So slight change of plan as we worked on the wonky wall on Sunday. J decided that we could not do the shelf thing on top of the teracotta wall as he was able to get it in much closer than we hoped by only doing 4 blocks high which meant he could then build up the wonky wall to meet the new straight wall in a much gentler more organic looking way. We dont' want straight walls - we want it to have character! I'm quite pleased as while I do like the odd shelf they do collect clutter! It took ages and Josh and I ran around finding stones of the right size and shape in the garden in the various rock piles!
This is the 2 bits of walls before we started:
And the gradual working along.
Image As you can see it is giving us a very natural look by using stones and lime original building material but still a reasonably straight wall that can have pictures / shelves hung on it when we are done!
I just realised I don't have a pic of it finished, I'll wait until the cloud of dust settles (he is currently cutting out around the doorframe to fit the door!)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: The office / guestroom - update 01/05 work.

Postby clothmama » Tue May 03, 2016 3:05 pm

OMG today we are cutting out the concrete door frame to fit the wooden door frame in and it is soooooo messy. I have sealed it as best I could with an old plastic table cloth and tape but it kept coming open and filling the house with dust. I have now added wood and a broom and it is working much better!
Image :hohoho: :hohoho:

Looking forward to the cleaning later (not!!).

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: The office / guestroom - update 01/05 work.

Postby clothmama » Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm not sure the house will ever be the same again - there is dust EVERYWHERE! We've just vacuumed and dusted and mopped where I can but I think it will tak a while to get it all and recover from it! I have misplaced my phone but when I find it I'll get a pic of the to which we did this morning and the offending edge that we didn't know we needed to do but had to be cut out because whoever built it didn't use a straight edge level thing :doh: :doh:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: The office / guestroom - update 03/05

Postby clothmama » Tue May 03, 2016 8:47 pm

The completed building up of the wonky wall from Sunday (and you can see the top left stone by the door where he has started cleaning off the old mortar from the nice cut stones :thumbsup: !).
just ready for the first all over coat of lime (it still needs to dry more anyway) then we'll finish off all the room in a single coat once the door and window are in so it is all smooth and meets up. It may mean we have to live with the red bricks until MIL leaves as she arrives Sunday and after todays nigthmare with the door frame I doubt we'll get it all done before then, more important to get the door and window in and we have found some throwaway cheap carpet that we can put down to cover the concrete and we can use it later as floor protection when we are working etc.

Here is what J had to cut out with the angle grinder, it was supposed to be 'just' a 3cm block off the top as the door is slightly higher than the opening, that was fine, went quite quickly and we didnt' get too much of a mess:
Then when J went to put the wooden frame in in discovered that the sides were not straight :doh: :doh: so he had to cut out a not inconsiderable bit almost to the floor :doh: This is when the dust really got everywhere as it was a bit wider so it was blowing more and the kids left both the kitchen door and the bedroom door open at various points (what were they thinking :doh: ) so we had about an hour just clearing up to bearable (I'll still have to go over it all again!)

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed May 04, 2016 4:52 am

Looks pretty good Tory :yahoo: and looks almost done

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata