hf1

The big renovation

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

The big renovation

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

We've been in this house for almost 6 years now and have been planning a big revamp. It's finally started!

I don't seem to have a before picture, but our living room now looks like this. (This is what would have been the old dining room before a full width extension was put on the house)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: The big renovation

Postby ems101 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Ooh so exciting! What's your plan? Any building work?

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 pm

To be honest, it might be easier to say what's not on the plan! @ems101

We had a leak in the kitchen that knackered the flooring in most of downstairs and caused our damp problems, so the work was more than we originally intended. Whilst identifying these issues we found out that there was a lot of cowboy work done on the house.

Front room / lounge
In the picture the white doors lead into the front room/lounge. They are filling in the chimney breast where there's a dodgy cabinet. Then they'll skim the walls so its ready for redecorating. We will be adding in cornice and building a set of shleves/ cupboard in one of the alcoves. Fully redecorating, new carpets/curtains and a new sofa bed.

Living room
This is the room you can see in the picture. We're having a new gas fire fitted (but it turns out that the old fireplace had had it's lintel removed, so remedial work is being done)

We are replacing the radiators and replastering/skimming. The ceiling is also being lowered and we are having spot lights fitted. This will be fully redecorated and we will put laminate flooring down. The room door (Not the adjoining ones) will be replaced.

Kitchen

The wall opposite the window here is the one that links the kitchen and utility room. The utility room is what was the original kitchen. That wall wasn't built properly so it has to come down and be rebuilt. This means that part of the kitchen cabinets need to come out, so we've chosen to redo the kitchen.

Utility room
We will replace the flooring and put in a new boiler along with new cabinets that match the kitchen.

Hallway
Skimming the walls and replacing the bannisters. They will also fix under the stairs to give us better storage.

Phew.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 am

Oh my goodness Kate! That is a lot of work wow! Can't wait to hear the progress. P

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 am

Wow Kate - amazing amount of work :shock: :shock: so good for you to have something lovely happening in your life - can't wait to see the progress and of course the finished result :thumbsup:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am

Wow, what an exciting project!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:03 am

Wow - can't wait to see the progress :yahoo:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 am

Let's say that it is going to be amazing but it's very stressful. I'm hoping mum will be able to see the final results.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 am

We chose a lighter colour for the cupboards and brought some of the 1930's style curved edges into the kitchen. The tiles are a teal colour and the worktop is oak-ish.

Sorry for this one being on an angle, but I had to hold the laptop facing away from me to get the picture. To the right of this is a wall with a fukll height larder cupboard and the fridge freezer.

We still need to finalise the colours for the wall, but it will be a grey to match the existing curtains at the patio doors.

Next

Return to Home Improvements