hf1

Secretaire desk painting! Finished page 2.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Secretaire desk painting! Finished page 2.

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Finished!
So here is the desk I picked up last week:
Really hate that orange stain look but really pretty legs and I think the details will look pretty once it isn't ....... orange :puke: :hohoho:
Inside it has some sweet little drawers and a leather base thing, I dont' love the colour trying to decide if I will paint that too - apparently it can be done. Deciding factor may be if it is actually faux leather - need to have a close look at it!

My plan is to potentially do a 2 colour mix with either pale grey adn darker grey or a blue green with the pale grey. I've decided to get the drawer fronts done and I can have a play and decide what I like. I've seen some done in striking darker colours but my house is too dark so want to not go too dark. I've also not used chalk paint as I was pretty unhappy with how my last project went (although that was the brand of paint I think). But decided on something with a lot of wear like a desk I'd be better off with normal paint and not have to worry about waxing etc.
Here are the colours I have to play with:

First coat done and already looking better! Will have a play tomorrow with the drawer fronts and see what I'll decide on for the whole project colour wise.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Secretaire desk painting!

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm

That will look amazing when you've finished!

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:44 pm

I love the desk it's going to be amazing xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Learnt online to clean the hardware in a pan with bicarb and it has worked really well :)
Image Image Image
Gave them a rinse and clean with s brush so should be totally clean to paint if I decide to :)

Just painted the pull out rails too but going to stop now. Hoping to get much of it done tomorrow :yahoo:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:00 am

What a beautiful piece of furniture, cant wait to see how it looks when you're done.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:38 pm

This is what it looked like after the first coat this morning:
Then got the second coat done - I think it will need a 3rd unless I decide to just do some feathery brushing / blending iwth a 2nd colour (maybe the darker grey) or decide I'm happy with the shabby chic look (wanted a more solid look though):
The inside shelves and drawers I've done in the deeper of the 2 blue / green colours I have and also the little pull out knobs:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:43 pm

That looks wonderful so far!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:17 pm

I have come up with a further creative idea that I think could be gorgeous - I have some lovely Amy Butler fabric - I think I'm going to glue some to the very back of the inside of the desk :D Will have a play tomorrow and see what I think!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:10 am

3rd coat done and looking much better, hoping it will be good when it is dry! I'm just a bit worrried I didn't prep and sand enough adn that it will chip off as I used some weird sanding thing and I've spotted a couple of tiny chips in the first layer - just hoping it has been knocked when not dry and it will all be OK once it is properly dry and cured!

Next

Return to Home Improvements