My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Living Room Help

Postby zoeyboo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Woozle35 wrote:
zoeyboo wrote:
I do think a white ceiling would lift the room though & lighten it up.

Do you? I can see me going with white ceilings and magnolia walls :giggle:

Definately, we redid all our ceilings white & most of the walls magnolia when we moved in to this house, really lifted it & made it seem bigger & brighter. Apart from the odd feature wall we added colour with pictures & cushions etc.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:19 pm

I wouldn't dye the sofa. I'd try to find some nice cushions that have red in them along with other colours, and then pick one of the colours for the walls. Or find some feature wallpaper with red in and do the same.

eg this one is red cream and grey. Farrow and Ball do some great soft greys.

or this which has pale teal blue but you would need to go VERY pale IMHO to avoid looking garish (look at Celestial Cloud 6 in the Dulux range)

I agree about the ceiling - white definitely.

If you want neutral avid magnolia and go for a creamy white (Dulux Jasmine White is a good one but avoid other brands version of this colour as they are more of a yellow)

I have some really nice plum and red cushions, you could go for a plum feature chimney breast and cream walls. Big mirror on the chimney breast will increase light, and metallic/ pearlescent wallpaper is another trick that increases light. You can also use gloss paint to increase light, if you do a colour on the walls a horizontal stripe of gloss in the same colour is really effective (need a spirit level and a steady hand!) or alternatively you can get the same effect with varnish over the top of the paint.

Look at the picture here to see how grey doesn't have to be cold. Farrow and Ball also have a selection of colour supplements on their website that you can view on line for more colour ideas.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks Ruth, lots of great tips there. Am off to look at farrow and ball :D :D :D

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Would you paint the whole chimney wall or just the chimney breast?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Woozle35 wrote:Would you paint the whole chimney wall or just the chimney breast?

I'd do either the chimney breast or another feature wall. We have a slightly darker colour on the chimney breast and then the end wall is 60's style wallpaper

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:34 pm

If you fancy having a paint then why not do the ceiling white (def agree with this in low rooms) and do neutral walls in cream/mushroom - then take a step back and consider papering a feature wall or just the chimney breast in whatever paper catches your eye and goes with things you have.

I agree about not dying the sofa, but that doesnt mean you have to match it in, if you go for a simply coloured wallpaper it need not clash and like Ruth said, you can always draw the colours together with cushions or a throw etc. Oh, and consider going for smaller print/pattern paper rather than big bold statement paper. Your ceilings are low, big bold paper will only accentuate that (i know its a feature, but you are aiming to lighten & brighten) so something smaller and dainty might be more appropriate? Laura Ashley do nice small prints. I have some gorgeous paper from Romo and theres Harlequin too which you could look at.

With neutral walls it will be fresh & clean and you will get good perspective of how it could look. You wanna do 'something' with it tho because otherwise you've just got a plain room... like far too many houses out there! You need not rush tho, give it a lick of paint and see how bright the room becomes and then get some wallpaper samples, tape them up and look at them for a few days. Makes it much easier to decide.

I luuurve interior decorating, just love patterns and textures etc :D
Last edited by Rox on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 pm

northernruth wrote:Look at the picture here to see how grey doesn't have to be cold. Farrow and Ball also have a selection of colour supplements on their website that you can view on line for more colour ideas.

:giggle: Thats the colour im planning to have my stairs & landings - Its beautiful!

Previous

Return to Home Improvements