Thinking about taking a break/giving up :-(

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Thinking about taking a break/giving up :-(

Postby clairelana » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:56 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:
I find when I use fleece linners Kaydi get a horrid nappy rash. I now use no linners or minkee ones. I ended up getting rid of most of my fleece linned nappies. The ones I kept I don'y use :giggle:

I've used disposables for a few days to clear up nappy rash. Its worked for me maybe give it a try just have a break. I caked Kaydi's bum with sudacrem (sp?) DH made me get sposies :roll: but for a first time :giggle: his sugestion worked.

:hug: :hug:

You do whats best for you and dexter.

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:30 pm

also have you introduced cow milk in to food/cup at all?

We have had a rash for 6wks and i tried stripping minke liners fleece everycream they sell spoises ( the chemist thought i was mental) the doctor gave me 2 different anti fungal ceams and still her skin would blister and bleed. then i thought that this started when we when cows milk full time. my strange child can have dairy and milk in small amounts but not a beaker/bottle of it as it burns her skin. strange little buba. anyway just thought i'd see if i'm not the only one with a strange child. we are back on cow and gate and her bums clear we just have this smell now...... :shock: like rancid chicken and no amount of bathing is helping. just waiting for the gp to open.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 pm

If you want to send me a photo I can pm you my email addy to see if it is anything like Ben has had.

My top tips at clearing the rash and keeping it at bay is
1) Don't use wipes unless for a poo, wet nappies just off and dry nappy on
2) Use Boots nappy liners (wash the wet, flush/bin poo ones)
3) Try using disp wipes - I know they are horrible, but I haven't gone back to washables as they are still working for us and only used even now for poos
4) Wash at 60 degrees never lower using bio powder.
5) Easier said than done, find the right combination of creams for you. For about 8 months we swore by applying Dakatcort (for fungal nappy rash) then a thick coating of Bepanthen and that cleared up really horrible rash all over and including bleeding blisters. Recently I have discovered epaderm and use that as a barrier. The creams were literally trial and error and I bought everything mentioned on here when I was at my wits end and going to give up on cloth but in tears at thinking that was an option. We lived at the gp's and ended up getting all creams on prescription but it took ages to get the right quantities - each week we would use a whole tube of bepanthen (large £7ish one and 1 tube of daktacort). Benjamin also had swabs taken and sent for testing incase it was anything worse than normal fungal rash and as a toddler we had a dematologist appointment at hospital as the gp had no idea what it could be and that was the epaderm cream which cleared that up.

If you are solely ff at the moment, at least that is one avenue ok as what's going in / being digested hasn't changed.

I also found it was easier to stick with the same type of nappies and system so if you are switching types of liners keep that the same for 3 days min to compare if getting better / worse :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm

did i mention raw egg white its fantastic!

ask if you want to know more :wink:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: Poor Dexter.

Imogen has had 2 bouts of this bad flare up too. It seems to be one or two poops that cause the initial problem then it doesnt necessarily get worse but doesn't go away :-?

Her bum is red all over with a couple of patches where the skin has come away :cry: These patches bleed at first. Then the redness goes away fairly soon but we are left with the patches to try and heal.

The first time I tried allsorts and it wouldn't heal, a week in dispos using lots of sudocrem cleared it up mostly then back in cloth and it was fine. This time it doesn't seem as bad and its healing fine for now but we arent in cloth at night at the moment so maybe that is making a difference.

I would maybe try a disp overnight, possibly a few days in them. I do think that dispos can help, of course it'll be horrible and none of us here want to use them but then you'll hopefully be able to get back into your lovely cloth and enjoy it again.

I use dispos if we go on holiday and certainly don't think there is anything to be guilty about using a few in this situation. We use Tesco size 4 on Imogen.

I do think it might be worth doctor taking a quick look too if its really bad as it could be that something can be prescribed.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks ladies, you are all so wonderful. I'm overwhelmed by all your offers of help and advice. Massive :hug: to you all.

Jules - the rash you describe that Imogen had sounds just like Dexters. I may try sposies overnight for a few days to see if it helps as I can smother his bum in cream without worrying about ruining his lovely cloth. I really don't want to give up so if I have to use sposies part-time then so be it.

Thanks again everyone :)

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:42 pm

everyone has said what I would suggest so have some more :hug: :hug: from me.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:02 pm

Louise wrote:I've heard of fucidin, the steroid in it is quite mild, we were prescribed trimovate as its slightly more powerful and the other antifungal creams hadn't helped. FC the doctor can prescribe something stronger for you. :hug:

Trimovate is antibiotics and steriods cream, Sophie has this on repeat for her face. Fucadin is usually a cream for Impitigo... and it is no longer perscribed around here so my GP says!!

Poor wee lad, Fleece may be the prblem but no liner on his already sore skin may be not giving it chance to dry out. I think trying minkee and silk may be a good option. I really hope that it clears up and/or your gp can get you a good cream. Maybe try sposies for a few days to see if it clears you might just need to break the cycle IYSWIM?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:04 pm

Trimovate did nothing for Ben, neither did Daktarin. I haven't heard of Fucadin for a while, my mum bought some from the chemist and was only sold it as she promised it was for use on the dog which it was!

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash