Thinking about taking a break/giving up :-(

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Thinking about taking a break/giving up :-(

Postby beffys » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:32 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I can't offer much help, but Ella went through a weird stage around that age where she was getting lots of big blisters (1cm sized that would rub off sometimes) and her fitted nappies had to be completely lined with fleece or minkee to stop it. I think we were just using tots bots at the time and a few pockets during the day. It took me a few months to build up a pockets stash. When we started to use wool at night we never looked back though and I still don't really know what it was that caused it as it stopped around when we introduced wool and she was still in lined tots bots then. Fleece lining seemed to sort it as her pockets were fleece lined too. We thought it might be allergies to bath soap, washing powder, all sorts and urine reacting with something, but it just went away when we used wool instead of PUL at night and was only really happening overnight. Other than that her bum gets a bit red and I always wash at 60c. That was the only time is was ever very bad though and I got all sorts of comments about it being the cloth nappies that were doing it, but I never really worked out what it was (maybe the PUL, but she's always fine with pockets).

It's so hard though, because you don't want LO to suffer and that's the main thing, so whatever you can do to stop the rash or even let it heal up a bit will be best, whether that means sposies for a bit or just some of the time. You might not need to go that far though. We never did and it is possible to be a reaction to washing powder, soap or whatever. Ella always seemed to get hers after a bath so we thought it was the soap or washing powder used on the nappies, so it was def not a poo reacting with urine rash as she's usually had a bath each night before fresh nappy and bed.

We use bepanthem as well as metanium, it's good too.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:32 pm

:hug: :hug: . Oh no, poor Dexter (and poor you) :hug: . What does the rash look like? The only time I've had a problem getting rid of one was when it was fungal and infected. :oops: I got some cream on prescription from the GP and it cleared up fairly quickly.

scrunchkins wrote:
tanya2007 wrote:Have you thought maybe it could be a thrush infection rather than "simple" nappy rash? Bella had a truly horrendous nappy rash (she still has scars on her lady bits from it :oops: ) which turned out to be a thrush infection and needed cream from the doctor to clear it up.

I've tried treating him for thrush too but as it's made no difference i'm assuming it's not that either. Thanks for all these suggestions ladies, maybe there is something i've missed :-?

Harriet has scars from a really bad nappy rash too :oops: :(

Have you been to the GP? The usual thrush creams didn't work when Katie had a bad rash, the one I was prescribed was antibiotic and antifungal and it did the trick.

Hope you find something that helps soon :hug: :hug:

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:32 pm

a few days may help hun and never feel guilty i know there is the envornment etc to think off but you lo's health is much more important, buy one bag and see how it is, if it clears then a break maybe needed and if it doesnt then the cloth is back, but if he is teething then its more than likely that, alesha is teething right now and her bum is terrible have you tried egg whites they work wanders,

whisk a egg white up and put some onto the sore area and leave to dry then put nappy back on, and apply again at every nappy change till it clears up, it work wanders xx

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm

If it's worse for teething then I'd really really suggest ashtons and parsons powders if you're not using them already. They work on the entirety of teething problems, not just the teeth side of things iyswim. Ocean used to get horrendous nappy rash when teething until I got those in him regularly and for a few days after I would think the teething was over as well.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 pm

scrunchkins wrote:
tanya2007 wrote:Have you thought maybe it could be a thrush infection rather than "simple" nappy rash? Bella had a truly horrendous nappy rash (she still has scars on her lady bits from it :oops: ) which turned out to be a thrush infection and needed cream from the doctor to clear it up.

I've tried treating him for thrush too but as it's made no difference i'm assuming it's not that either. Thanks for all these suggestions ladies, maybe there is something i've missed :-?

Harriet has scars from a really bad nappy rash too :oops: :(

I know you've said you've tried so much, and I'm certainly not belittling your attempts to clear it up, but I would seriously consider letting a doctor look at it anyway, in case there is some sort of infection in there that you can't treat yourself.

What we learned from Bella's nappy rash episodes (mainly taught by Shevi, Annette and Steph) was to not use any kind of wipes when LO is only wet, just dry it up as best you can, as the wiping action itself can aggravate it. Find some cream (shame metanium doesn't work as it's perfect for this - Bepanthen may be worth looking at) that will help dry up the soreness, and use a good barrier cream over the top.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know, I just found it really useful when Bella was so sore.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:38 pm

megansmummy wrote:I have about a million minkee liners if you want to try those? just let me know...

That would be great if you could spare a few for me to try :hug: :hug:

The rash is just red and sore, not spotty or blistery. The top layer of skin has rubbed of in a couple of places. I wonder if he could be reacting to the fleece liners but then surely no liners would help :-?
Louise wrote::hug: :hug: . Oh no, poor Dexter (and poor you) :hug: . What does the rash look like? The only time I've had a problem getting rid of one was when it was fungal and infected. :oops: I got some cream on prescription from the GP and it cleared up fairly quickly.

Have you been to the GP? The usual thrush creams didn't work when Katie had a bad rash, the one I was prescribed was antibiotic and antifungal and it did the trick.

Hope you find something that helps soon :hug: :hug:

I haven't been to the gp but have used the antifungal and antibiotic cream that Harriet was prescribed :oops:, I hasten to add that I did check that this would be ok via my HV. The cream is called fucidin :-?

ETA: I have been using bepanthen and to start with that did help a little but it got worse again. If it's no better by Monday i'll pop him up to the gp :(

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:40 pm

That's true acutally what Louise says. If it is a fungal thing you'll need a special cream. Ella had a fungal thing on her face for months and it was on her arms and legs too, so she had one cream prescribed for her face and one for the rest. It wasn't on her bits though, but the patch on her face would not go no matter what until the GP have us some antifungal cream and steroid cream too. That took me month to get sorted. My dad said to try steroid cream, we did that and it helped a bit, but she needed antifungal and I should have gone to GP sooner. Once it started to heal a bit was much better. It took two visits and 2 different prescriptions to sort it.

It's so difficult though trying to puzzle out what it is. A GP might be able to take one little look and recognise it.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I've heard of fucidin, the steroid in it is quite mild, we were prescribed trimovate as its slightly more powerful and the other antifungal creams hadn't helped. FC the doctor can prescribe something stronger for you. :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm

how long has it been like this hun? :( :hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash