hf1

Possibly thrush and sanitizing nappies

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Possibly thrush and sanitizing nappies

Postby ameliepoulin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:55 am

Ok, so it happened, could be thrush or something, as there are 2 spots the size of a small coin each that won't subsize with regular barrrier cream, calendula, etc. Going to the paediatrician#t to confirm. Meanwhile she is in disposables and I am pulling my hair here trying to figure out ow to sanitize my nappies. In most of the articles boiling the cloth is mentioned or at least washing at very high temperatures, but how do you do that with PUL and bamboo? I wouldn't want my BGs melting in the process. So please, please help me get rid of it efficiently without ruining my nappies.
I have tea tree oil and oxygen bleach as gear to fight against it, at what temperature do I wash and how, with, without detergent (bio one), how may rinses? What garantee do I have that I will get rid f thrush if I don't boil the nappies?

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Possibly thrush and sanitizing nappies

Postby Rox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 am

You can buy a nappy sanitiser easily available in the supermarket on the baby isle, you just add it to your wash. Be sure to wash on 60 also as it helps kill bugs.

Doesnt sound like thrush tho as thrush is tiny little pimples, one bigger one then several smaller ones around it, thats how it spreads, they grow then more little ones appear from them etc.

But yes, the nappy sanitiser will work fine and be sure to sanitise all towels/cloths etc you use also.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 am

A 60 wash with bio will kill the bugs I am sure...don't think oxygen bleach is good on bamboo, but fine on PUL.

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in a country where cloth nappies are virtually unknown and so such aids like nappy sanitizer don't exist in supermarkets. I do fear it is thrush, it appeared like you described it and in exactly the same spots several times when it did (it came and went). It is not spread at this point but I am worried, as the skin was sort of blistered underneath before it dried and basically stayed as it is now.
Does washing at 60 kill the fungus, really?

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 am

Washing at 60 kills everything and bio powder would help also. I know your environmentally conscious about washing at lower temperatures and wash at 40 but maybe alternating between 40 and 60 would be a better balance, stop lo's rash and also save buying disposable.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 am

William got it when he was a few days old on his tum, legs and nappy area, they were little yellow filled spots that burst easy, we got canestan from out gp and it cleared in a couple of days, nappy wise I just washed at 60 degrees as normal and all is fine x

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am

zippie-purple-monkey wrote:Washing at 60 kills everything and bio powder would help also. I know your environmentally conscious about washing at lower temperatures and wash at 40 but maybe alternating between 40 and 60 would be a better balance, stop lo's rash and also save buying disposable.

I see that my reputation of environmentally-conscious preceeds me :giggle: , to be honest I'd have no reserve in washing at 100 if I could to kill the fungus and have a rash-free bum. Before I left for work I put a machine load of nappies at 60, oxygen bleach, tea tree oil and eco washing powder. I left intructions for an extra rinse cycle. If this won't do the trick I'll kill the fungus muself :widesmile:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 am

I wouldn't be convinced its thrush with that description.Thrush doesn't tend to come and go and often it's not in patches.Could be a bacterial infection.if u google image search for candidal nappy rash there are some good pics.60 degrees should be a hot enough wash to kill spores.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:01 am

eco washing powdersaren't the best either, sorry x

Next

Return to Nappy Rash