hf1

Using cloth nappies with eczema?

My avatar
jade90jade
Clothie
Clothie

Using cloth nappies with eczema?

Postby jade90jade » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi I've been using cloth nappies for a while now. My lo has severe eczema. His body is lots better at the moment (Its just his face that i'm working on).
I've just read online somewhere that its best to organic nappies if your child has eczema. I dont have too many nappies right now, some little lamb bamboo nappies. A few cheapy pockets, two bg organics and 1 tots bots easyfit. I have been using fleece liners and I've just read that its bad to use those :(
He doesn't really have a rash down there, but he does have a consistent red area around his anus that doesn't seem to go. He also does get red marks around his legs often (I though I was doing the nappies too tight, but if I do them any looser they leak AND he still has red marks on his legs).
I'm not sure If should switch nappies now, as I would hate to think that Im making him uncomfortable with these nappies :( xx

My avatar
ms9kas
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Using cloth nappies with eczema?

Postby ms9kas » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 pm

My little girl and little boy both have eczema.
My little girl (now potty trained) was in reuseables from birth to around 21 months, and apart from a brief spell where she got an infected nappy rash, she was fine in her nappies.
My little boy is 6 months old and has been in reuseables since day 1. Last week he was looked after by grandparents for the day so we put him in disposables and his bottom looked really sore by the end of the day.

We also use washable wipes at nappy changes soaked in either just water, or water with chamomile and lavender oils, which certainly helps keep things under control.

We use little lambs, tots bots and geobel bamboos all with either fleece or PUL outer wraps. What wraps do you use? Fleece is meant to be kinder to skin.

Also, silk liners can help if your little one suffers when you use fleece

Hope this helps you :-)

PS - We did try all in ones, but found that they made the eczema worse where the outer fabric touched the skin (at the waist in particular) xxx
Last edited by ms9kas on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:01 pm

My boy had really bad eczema and it is much better now, I actually switched to reusables because of this. Like your lo he never had a rash in nappy area so it's hard to say, but I haven't noticed a difference tbh. I have also used aio and fleece and that didn't make it worse or anything. He also has a red area around his anus but I think he's had it pretty much from birth, can't remember now... I'd really like to hear if other babies have that too :-? as he rarely has nappy rash I thought it was normal :-? You could pm me if you want we could share tips and stuff, I've done all sorts of things... I hope it get's better :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 pm

My dd has eczema, although not very bad. We've never had an issue using cloth nappies. The red marks on your child's legs could be from the binding on the wrap where it meets your baby's leg getting wet. That used to happen with us & I found it helped to have 2 wraps & alternate them with changes so the binding dried. Wool soakers are also a great option.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm

2 of my children suffer from eczema and we never had any issues with cloth nappies. I used a combination of pockets and fitteds with either minkee or fleece liners. The marks on the legs could be due to the wraps as a PP said. We use fitted nappies with wool over the top rather than a PUL wrap. I thought the red ring around the anus was a sign of an allergy/food sensitivity (hence why it is called the allergy ring) so cloth wouldn't really cause that.

Return to Nappy Rash