Nappy Rash? Think I'm going to have to give up NN

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Nappy Rash? Think I'm going to have to give up NN

Postby Rebeccar75 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:52 am

Hello :cry:

I am thinking that I am going to have to stop using cloth at night. I use Tots bots bamboozle stretch with a fleece wrap. My ds gets (has got at the mo) the most horrendous raw blistering / ulcers on his willy, also some unburst blisters on his scrotum. He has had this before several times and I have taken him to the dr but they don't know what it is. I think it is the ammonia and 'teething wee'. He also gets these blisters on his inner thigh from chafing. I have put him in disposables today and will keep him in them till it gets better.

I use a variety of creams - weleda dry skin food, weleda calendula, sudocrem, metanim (not now as the skin is broken). He cries every time I change his nappy and he's waking loads in the night and crying out.

Heeeellllpppp, advice...??????

Am thinking that maybe just disposables at night and carry on with cloth during the day but.... I hate disposables and was so happy to be using cloth 24/7.

Rebecca

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Nappy Rash? Think I'm going to have to give up NN

Postby chocmuffin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:11 am

:( how horrid for him, I do hope it clears up soon :hug:

I use disposables at night because I couldn't stand the smell of night nappies in the morning :oops: I do have a strong sense of smell so that prob made it worse!

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 am

I could have written your post a few weeks ago! We have had a few bouts of this nastiness here and it always looks terrible in the morning after a night in cloth.

Did the Dr swab to see if anything was growing? My LO did have a staph infection twice and needed antibiotics. We have had horrible rashes since (left in an unnoticed soiled nappy for too long set it all off again).

I have just managed to clear up a bad rash without having to buy disposables for night (was seriously considering). I put more boosting in the NN to reduce how "wet" the skin felt, lots of bare bum time and used Metanium ointment at every change. I have previously sorted another round of rash by using disposables at night until the rash went then went back to cloth. I also used two fleece liners (or a huge one) in the NN so some is covering the edges at the tummy and thighs as we get the rash starting from wet and friction if I don't. I also encouraged him to drink more during the day so the wee wasn't so concentrated.

I hope you find something that works for you and at the end of the day if the answer is to use diposables at night at least your LO is not in discomfort from bad rash. :hug:

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I would try letting baby have lots of air/nappy free time in the day to help with healing. Have you tried bepanthan for when he starts healing. Poor lo, really hope it clears soon x

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:22 pm

We used to get rashes if we used cloth at night with Austin so I have never used it as a 24 hour thing. If you think it will help then give it a try. Otherwise I can only suggest more frequent changes at night.

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Oh bless your poor little chap :-(

Like others have said, PLENTY of nappy free time and drinking as much liquid as poss during the day to keep his wee diluted.

And if you have to use disposables at night, or more, then so be it. Your sons health, happiness and wellbeing is paramount.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Are you using fleece liners? That can cause the reaction you describe.

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:18 pm

that sounds horrid :-( have you tried using wool at night? I was reluctant about it but it's made a huge difference to my sons skin :-) I'd recommend grabbing some from classified to try x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Poor wee man :-( Two things occur to me. As other have suggested, could you try wool at night instead? It much more breathable. Neither of my 2 have got on well with fleece really. Perhaps you could also try changing hime before you go to bed if he's sleeping through or when he wakes up for a feed if he's not?

Having said this, we're using sposies at night with DD2 ATM. I spent a fortune on NNs with DD1 who could wee for England as I was determined to do cloth 24/7. I just don't have the funds for that this time around and although, I'm not mad about the fact that she wears sposies at night, it works for us and is far from the worst thing in the world.

Hope you find something that works for you. :hug: :hug:

Next

Return to Nappy Rash