hf1

Nappy Rash? Think I'm going to have to give up NN

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Nappy Rash? Think I'm going to have to give up NN

Postby Scotia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I used disposables at night although I would have preferred to use reusables, but he used to get really sore too. So I figured one sposie a day was a lot better for the environment than 5 or 6 and I just went for it. If you want to stick with reusables though I'd try something with a bv inner and wool on top instead of fleece. That might be a bit more gentle on his skin :hug:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27 pm

my ds had similar issues with night nappies. We used olive oil to clean him as it doesn't sting with the open sores. Once he was healing i used camomile tea and cotton wool for cleaning and used to let him air dry so it stayed on his skin. I too dumped the night nappies and used a disposable as although i hated using them i was not prepared to have my babies bum in a mess.
I hope he's better soon. Lots of fluids will dilute his urine and make it less uncomfortable when he does wee.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Scarlett was always sensitive to wetness, day or night - we found having a nappy above the absorbency required, fully lined with fleece or minkee and covered with wool was the key..

Wool was amazing, couldnt believe the difference - once we made those changes she was fine. Def need a nappy that is able to hold their pee and more so that it isnt sat next to the skin wet or saturated and wool allows the nappy to breathe and moisture to evaporate too.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:30 pm

tanya wrote:Are you using fleece liners? That can cause the reaction you describe.

yep they did that to Grace

Could it be a yeast infection? William had one when he was new born and canestan cleared it in 24 hours. He doesn't generally wear cloth at night as it is too bulky for him I think, he is always more restless in cloth at night so he wears a sposie most nights

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Poor wee soul :( That must be awful. Lots of good advice - i'd echo the GIANT fleece liner idea (or fleece lined nappies) as this helped my dd, as did wool at night. However, some kids react badly to fleece next to their skin, so some trial and error involved here too.

Creams, sposies and nappy free time will eventually help. I found my dds pee/poo was less nippy if she'd eaten bananas.

I found the best barrier cream for avoiding it was to put lansinoh on her bottom. It had the most staying power of all ointments we tried. But it's not great for nappies, so has to be used with liners.

Hope he feels better soon.

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:11 pm

We had a nightmare with rashes with Catrin when she was in nappies full time and in the end hers was eczema. CJ's butter has been the best thing we've found for day to day use, it leaves a lovely oily barrier on the skin but it isn't thick so washes out of the nappies completely. Evie's got awful teething wee at the moment and it is really helping

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:03 am

Wow :shock: , thanks for all your replies. I'm quite relieved that my little man isn't the only person to suffer like this. I was a bit worried tbh that he might have something wrong with him. I did take him to the doctor last time he had a really nasty flare up but the dr said he didn't know what it was and prescribed him a cream (when I got home I read on the print that it wasn't for use on broken skin..... - stupid dr!!)

Since I put him in disposables the rawness on his willy has started to heal a bit. Iv'e put lots of Weleda Calendula cream on him. There was a mention of Bepanthen and CJs butter... Can I have some recommendations on a really good natural moisturiser, doesn't have to be organic but I'd like happy ingredients...????

NOrmally, in the mornings his nappy is saturated at the front (and WOW the smell :roll: ), so I'm thinking after reading through your replies that maybe I haven't been boosting enough. When he's teething and his wee is extra strong he doesn't like to drink water, just lots of milk and he eats lots of yoghurt so I suppose that would concentrate it even more.

I think I will have to hang up my hatred of disposables and put him in them from now on at night, I think that that will be the easier option than lots of experimenting and buying yet more cloth (I just can't afford to keep on buying stuff, esp as he's now 18 months and showing signs of possible potty training...- am hoping this year).

Thanks again.
Rebecca x

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm glad things are improving!! Sounds like you've made the right decision for your family :-) I thoroughly recommend waitrose baby bottom butter which contains only olive oil, vanilla and chammoile oil. It's super soothing, doesn't break the bank and smells divine. I have a pot for his bum, a pot for his face and eczema and a pot for me gig

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:12 am

Jake was in sposies at night for quite a while. There's no problem at all with using them, and we still do if we run out of night nappies. Do whatever is best for your little one :)

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash