hf1

Paper liner causing nappy rash?

My avatar
bealos
Clothie
Clothie

Paper liner causing nappy rash?

Postby bealos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 pm

A poster on here mentioned this to me, so I thought I'd stop using the paper liners and we switched to just fleece liners (which is a bit messy with breastfed poo, lots more going in the washing machine that down the loo!)

I *think* her rash has cleared up a bit, but it's hard to say... she's 11 weeks old and potentially could get a rash from all sorts of things. When I took her to docs for her 6-8 week check, he said she had a bit of thrush down there and prescribed some cream (quite normal apparently for such young, delicate skin).

Anyone else had experience of this? Or found a paper liner that definitely doesn't irritate?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Paper liner causing nappy rash?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Its hard to say really. i can say for definite that a paper liner never irritated my kids, but who knows about yours :giggle:

i think its a caase of doing whatever works for you. Don't worry about BF poo going in the washing machine it won't hurt the machine or the nappies. And you won't really get BF poo out of anything.

If I used paper liners when mine were bf fed then I just threw the whole lot in the machine anyway. and now my lo is on formula any paper lines or disp wipes if I use them go in the machine unless they have poop on them and the liner goes down the loo and the wipes in the wash. then I throw away in the bin once they are clean. But you can re-use most paper lines I just can't be bothered.

My avatar
mollycoddles
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mollycoddles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I must say I tried paper liners and gave up right away. I'd always thought I'd hate using cloth liners but once I tried paper I knew I had to use a different solution... they just gave little man a wedgie... hated them... love the cloth so much I've made a bunch of my own.

My avatar
mollycoddles
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mollycoddles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Not sure if my response above was even remotely useful... I started using cloth when my litle man got really bad nappy rash in disposables and he has been totally clear ever since. So I guess the paper could cause issues - it depends on your little ones specific sensitivities.

Strangely I've heard that a lot of people with sensitive skin are better using powder detergent as opposed to liquid and I personally cannot work with powder as it makes my skin really really dry!

Worth trying the fleece liners and seeing what you think!

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:00 am

yes paper liners give ds nappy rash, never had a problem with dd. It's a bit of a nightmare now we've started weaning as his poop is too loose to get off the fleece liners but too solid for me to want to put in my washing machine. :-?

My avatar
bealos
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bealos » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm

So far, fleece liners = no nappy rash. Will see how things go...

Am aware that with my son (now 7!), nappy rash appeared around teething, so I look forward to that too...

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Paper liners caused awful rash that eventually bled and didn't clear with creams from the gp. I switched to fleece liners and it cleared within 24 hours!

Until my babies are weaned, I never bother with liners for bf poos because they wash off so easily. A quick rinse and in the machine :D

Return to Nappy Rash