hf1

Bit of advice needed

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Bit of advice needed

Postby PixieFix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:58 am

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere, I just don't have time to search through the threads :loopy:

So been using cloth nappies on my wee one (who is a month old today! :shock: ) but her skin looks quite red when I change her. I don't know if its nappy rash, I've never seen nappy rash before :giggle: but its certainly not as red when I use a disposable. So two questions:
1. I change her after a feed, which is roughly every 3 to 4 hours, am I leaving her too long between changes?
2. With the disposables I've been using Sudocrem care and protect, can I use this with the cloth nappies?

Thanks in advance x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Bit of advice needed

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:20 am

What are you wiping her with? Commercial wipes are often the biggest cause of redness in babies.

If you aren't using washable wipes I recommend switching. I also recommend making your own wipe mixture. I haven't made a batch yet but with Louis I used to make my own wipe mixture and he never got red once I started using it!:

• Make 1 cup of cammomile tea (I like the organic stuff as it tastes nicer but any will do!) - leave the bag in until it is luke warm.
  • Add a tablespoon of olive oil and mix (probably good to use a jar, I think that is what I'll do this time!)
  • Add a few drops of lavender and one or 2 of Tea tree oil (optional) essential oils. Both of these are naturally antiseptic and the lavender is very soothing and healing.
  • A few drops of baby wash can be added to if you feel you need the extra cleaning power
  • I used to store my wipes in an old wipes box and I'd just put a whole heap of wipes in and tip the mix over. I think I'll experiment with having it in a spray bottle or something this time as I have a different changing set up!
  • This mix is usually good for 2 or 3 days unless terribly hot.

PixieFix wrote:1. I change her after a feed, which is roughly every 3 to 4 hours, am I leaving her too long between changes?

I'm changing Rémy at each feed too so about the same, this should be fine. Are you using nappies with stay dry layers?

PixieFix wrote:2. With the disposables I've been using Sudocrem care and protect, can I use this with the cloth nappies?
I can't remember if this is one of the ones you can use :doh: silly baby brain, I'm sure someone who can remember will be along! I have a Weleda one and I have just added a tiny dab to Rémy's bum today as he had had an undetected poo in there for a while and it was a little red. I'm hoping it is OK, he has a fleece liner on so won't ruin the nappy anyway! I seem to remember that many of them are OK if you use them sparingly so they don’t end up coating your nappy.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:29 am

No sudo is no good for cloth. We use the weleda cream too, but it's quite pricey.try waitrose bottom butter. It's about £3 for a tub!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:36 am

ems101 wrote:No sudo is no good for cloth. We use the weleda cream too, but it's quite pricey.try waitrose bottom butter. It's about £3 for a tub!

I thought that was the case, thanks for clarifying Emily! :thumbsup:

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:57 am

So far I've just been using cotton wool and warm water. Maybe will give that recipe a try though, sounds like it could help what with the lavender and all. Trying to transition to using reusable wipes but I only have 11 wipes :giggle: don't last very long! I just got a few to try out and as it turns out the husband loves them so will definitely be getting some more. How many would I need to go full time with them? And how do you use them when out and about?

I am using a fleece liner but she is getting red up around her legs and middle as well where the liner doesn't cover. Is there anything I could do about this?

Will also seek out some cloth friendly bum cream :thumbsup:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:00 am

Get a fleece blanket and cut bigger liners. Cheap and cheerful!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:54 am

I'd second bigger liners and maybe changing a bit more often to see if that helps.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:26 pm

I was getting through an average of 10 nappies a day when mine was newborn (so changing every 2-3 hours) but that's mainly because she pooped about 5-7 times a day so was rarely changing a fully wet nappy.
I have 24 wipes and that's been plenty for me. I wash every other day and because you don't need to wait for them to dry once out of the machine it means they're straight back in circulation.
The best thing I've found when baby starts getting a red bum is having a bit of 'no nappy' time. Even if it's just 5 mins when you take nappy off in the morning and then leave it whilst you get dressed or something?
I also sometimes put a small amount of pure lanolin nipple cream on the red patch which I find works a treat. Haven't tried the asda bum butter but heard that's great too :thumbsup:
Can't remember whether you've already said but which sort of nappies are you using? If they are pocket nappies maybe an additional booster to increase absorbency would help?
If you find the fleece liners help on the area they cover then maybe also try a couple of fully fleece lined nappies when your LO grows out of these ones (not helpful for now but could be worth remembering for future).
When going out I squeeze excess water out of some wipes and fold them into a plastic bag (without air holes!). Once used they just go in the wet nappy bag with dirty nappies. You can buy smaller wet bags for putting your clean wipes in when out and about too. I haven't got round to buying one yet but they do sound like a good idea.

My avatar
Chunkychels
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Chunkychels » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 pm

My wipes solution is made up of a spoon full of pure coconut oil and half a spoon of baby wash with 2 to 3 cups of Walter then store in a wipes warmer or a clear plastic container

Next

Return to Nappy Rash