My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Which lotion/cream /potion?

Postby musdih » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi everyone
I'm pretty new here so please excuse the lack of etiquette etc
I use easy peasy bumble nappies for my lo and have washable wipes but have hardly used them as I find it far easier to stand him in the bath, Denappy and give a quick thorough wash. However recently he's developed eczema - combo of allergies and teething - including in the nappy area and I find water ( or rather all the nasties in it!!!) aggravates it - I have pure Shea butter but have a feeling that will affect the nappies soaking power.
So, my question is - is there a wash or the like that I can use with the wipes that will keep him clean and not irritate him either??
Thank you all you lovely knowledgeable ladies!!!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Which lotion/cream /potion?

Postby confusinglady » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Hello welcome to the tree :wave:
I m not great at this but I know a few ladies will be along with some suggestions :thumbsup:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

@littlesez will know :)

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Most bought solutions will contain water. I would have a play with stuff at home. When DS1 was born his skin peeled all over so I use to rub him in olive oil to keep him skin from peeling as bad. It never affected the nappies. You could use that to wipe him with when you change him.
If you are feeling more adventurous then get some coconut oil and try that. You can also mix it with your shea butter for a lovely moisturising lotion. I break up the shea butter and put it in a bowl over some hot water to help it melt and then add the coconut oil and mix with an electric hand mixer. The more coconut oil you add the softer the lotion will be.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Creams, lotions and washes are around 70% water so not sure they will help. Shea butter sounds good to me :thumbsup: I know there are lots of things to try for eczema like oats, traditional remedies and doctors may advise on best treatment. The only thing I have seen really help for those with eczema is cutting out dairy from the diet. Xx

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Postby musdih » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 am

ok thnk you very much ladies
im really liking the idea of the shea coconut oil combo - i will give it a whirl (literally) today...
Littlesez - ds is now dairy, soya, nut and fish free but eczema hasnt improved although his other symptoms have profoundly
we have just bought a berkey filter so hopefully all the nasties in his water will be cut of fnow and im HOPING that will make the difference.
Many thanks for all your help

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Postby musdih » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Just to update:
Made the Shea butter / coconut oil mixture
I think the ratios are not perfect but ds is doing well - it glides on easily and I haven't noticed it affecting the absorption of the fleece etc

Return to Nappy Rash