hf1

Do I have to just accept that my cloth days are over?

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Do I have to just accept that my cloth days are over?

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:25 pm

:cry:

Emrys kept getting really sore, then he had tonsillitis, thrush and a strep rash so we took him out of cloth whilst he was getting over it (and the antibiotic poo!), blitzed all his nappies, stripped em etc too.

He has been in cloth a couple of times since and was looking sore, so I went back to fairy non-bio liquid like we used to use, rewashed everything again

Now, 3 days in to being back in cloth full time, he has the hideous rash back and is refusing to wear a nappy (he has consented to pants, but that leads to soggy socks :roll: )

Do I just have to accept that in a houseful of nappies, i have to go and spend money on sposies?

I have done everything I would recommend to other people, but my baby is still sore - he has never refused to wear a nappy on soreness grounds before (bloody mindedness, yes, soreness, no) - he ran away when I brought out the nappy and just kept pointing to his bits saying "No. Ow." :cry:

Is there anything I have forgotten to try?

On the bright side, he is telling me when he as pooed (after the fact, but still...), he is wanting to sit on the toilet (again, after the fact...) - maybe it would only be a couple of months in disposables anyway? <hopeful grasping at straws emoticon>

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Do you think the rash looks like an infection (eg thrush) or does it look more like a reaction to a chemical, or due to a set of toxic poos? We have been thru all of these. Kayleigh reacts to even the non-bio powders, so we have to do an extra water wash after washing all her clothes and nappies.
Try explaining what your rash looks like, and if you can get something to fix the occurance of the rash, then you can hopefully get back into cloth.

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:41 pm

It seems to be both a reaction (wearing a little red nappy when he is naked :wink: ), plus a localised bit of thrush too (the thrush ONLY comes when he is in cloth)

I have completely stripped all his nappies and blitzed them on their hottest washes twice before putting them back on him after the thrush before :(

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 pm

You know that you need to keep using the thrush cream for a week after the thrush has gone and keep doing hot washes with the nappies for the entire week, otherwise it can come back.
As for having a reaction, if you are doing a rinse is there any soap residue left (bubbles in the machine) - if so you may need to keep rinsing.
Also if you go into the nappy rash section of this forum, there are a lot of suggestions.
http://www.clothnappytree.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
Good luck

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:02 pm

I know Shevi battled with rashes for some time and I think she has found that the compromise solution is to stick with cloth in the day but use disposables at night. Might be worth a try.

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:08 pm

That could be worth a try Charliemum.

The thrush (I'm still not convinced it is what it is - they gave us canesten but it goes away by itself if I change to disposables even without cream) has the full course of cream each time, the nappies nuked and not worn until it had gone, but still comes back :( Always in the same place too.

For the time he will have to be in disposables because he isn't letting me anywhere near him with cloth - he fought and sobbed so much when I tried to put a nappy on him for the school run that he ended up in his sister's pull ups several sizes too big :roll:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:14 pm

Ahhh poor little thing. I hope you manage to keep the rash at bay.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Oh no what a nightmare, the poor little man :( :( .

I've not had much experiance of this so not able to offer any suggestions. All I use if he is a bit red is some pure aloe vera or cornflour!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:35 pm

poor little bum, Ben has just been prescribed anti fungal cream by our gp. (His sore bum is in the photo gallery if you want to compare and see if it is similiar)

If you have a sainsbury's pharmacy, it might be worth asking for something antifungal to try - Daktarin is what he has prescribed us. So either ask dr for it, or Sainsburys sell loads of stuff over the counter that other places don't especially compared with Boots pharmacy.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash