hf1

Rash since using reusable wipes....

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Rash since using reusable wipes....

Postby fluffycabbage » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 am

Ok when i first started using reusable nappies Charlottes skin was fine. No rashes at all. But since i started using fleece reusable wipes she has very red bits which look sore. Kamillosan isnt calming it down. Ive switched back to J&J wipes for now (started lastnight), so i can see if it is those fleece wipes. Shes fine with fleece itself. So im assuming that either a) she intolerant to something in the solution im making, or 2)i need to dry her bum thoroughly after cleaning, before i pput a clean nappy on. The solution i make is: 3/4pint camomile tea, 2 drops lavender, small squirt asda head to toe wash.

Any ideas?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Rash since using reusable wipes....

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 am

You definately need to dry after, so it could be that. Or perhaps she is reacting to the oil, or the soap, try not adding these one at a time. In the end with Louis I just used warm water!

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:42 am

I was going to say, try using just water and the wipes and see if that makes a difference.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 am

I only use plain water with Kieren, the minute i start complicating it he gets a rash, I can get awat with a drop of his baby bath but i dont bother...i even tried bum cubes from bibs n bots...

Deffinatly dry her bottom properly before you put her nappy on , im sure i read that there is something in disp wipes that dry their skin (some sort of alcohol maybe? not sure) after they are wipes but obviously with fleece wipes and natural products it wont dry their skin...

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am

I would guess it might be because (I find) fleece either doesn't clean particularly well, so maybe you aren't getting all urine off completely. And/or that fleece repels water so won't be drying her very thoroughly.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:12 am

what sort of wipes would you recommend then?
and how does the urine come off without the aid of some sort of cleaning solution? thinking about it now, she wasnt like this when i used NE solution, so im guessing it could be that then.

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:16 am

Anything else really - I like minkee, bamboo velour, cotton velour or cotton, with either cotton toweling or bamboo toweling. I know some people do get on with fleece, but personally I find it a bit ineffective as a wipe.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 am

I use mainly water apart from in the morning when I add a wee squirt of top to toe wash (we don't even put anything in her bath or use soap), during the day I always dry well and then let her have some bum free time even if it is only for a few mins to let her air dry. I don't use fleece wipes either, we use the minkee ones from clothbums, puddlekins and WN are also lovely. x

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 am

I use mostly cotton or bamboo wipes with either warm water or a solution with essential oils. Bamboo wipes are good because bamboo is anti-bacterial.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash