hf1

A little general advice about rashes please

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

A little general advice about rashes please

Postby joeli » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:41 pm

So Leo very rarely gets a nappy rash but I'm just looking for a little basic advice.

Background: He's had one bad one and we happened to be getting him weight that day. I thought it was okay as it was only a little rash and we were treating it with petroleum jelly and nappy free time. The HV saw it, asked how we were treating it and when I told him he looked at me like I was an idiot. He immediately prescribed that Metanium cream. This made his rash so much worse and made my finger feel like it'd been burned so we got rid of that cream immediately. We now just use Kamillosan whenever we have a little bit of redness and it helps loads.

Now Leo has a little few red spots on his groin area and a red sore spot at the tip of the willy with what looks like flaking skin. I'm treating it with cream and nappy free time, but how do I know when to bring him to the doctor? The HV made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing and now I'm worried about every rash that maybe I'm not treating it right.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: A little general advice about rashes please

Postby northernruth » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:47 pm

No advice really, as Metanium always is a wonder cream for us. I know from previous threads tho that it's a case of finding what works for you. I have heard chamomile tea in wipes can help? Sure someone with more relvant experience will be along soon

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 pm

I rarely treat mild nappy rash but when we get it bad I just use standard sudocrem or zinc and castor oil cream. Always seems to do the job for me. Lucas has just had a bad case and we had nappy free time and sudocreme overnight and that was it. Went in a couple of days. :wink:

ETA: If it is just nappy rash then I wouldn't go to the Dr but if you think his willy might be red and have an infection I would take him for that. Jon got a very red willy when he was potty training and ended up with white pus coming out of it :shock: Not trying to worry you and as I say nappy rash I wouldn't worry about but an infection will need antibiotics. :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Metanium had a dreadful effect on Grace's skin too so you're not alone there - I think because it's a wonder cream for some it gets prescribed / recommended highly...

I avoid any zinc based creams too as they don't let the skin breathe as much although it's usually not too bad if I put a very very thin layer on...

My top top top cream of all time is Angel Baby Bottom Balm.

If the rash spreads, gets worse or more angry or doesn't go/abate after a few days I'd see the GP as it may be thrush based or infected.

Huge fleece liners in fitteds
Change every 2hrs when sore
Use plain water - or cleanse with plain water after using baby wipes / wash for poos
(or use the earthfriendly baby company baby wipes, best ever wipes! John Lewis was the cheapest I've found oddly)
Cold prewash, Wash at 60 with extra-rinse then do another full rinse cycle.
Consider doing a strip wash.
Plenty of nappy off time if you can
Fitteds seem better than pockets
Avoid microfibre at all costs - bamboo and hemp are the way to go

For really sore bad rashes soak your fleece liners in cammomile tea - place a (cold) wet one in overnight nappies and use the dry ones in day nappies.

Erm I'm sure there's more but I'll stop now...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:56 pm

ETA: Nothing wrong with using Kamilosan if that works for you

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I avoid any zinc based creams too as they don't let the skin breathe as much although it's usually not too bad if I put a very very thin layer on...

I didn't know that. But then I bought a 500g pot when Jonathan was born and still have a 1/4 left so really don't use it often as he is nearly 4 and I have used it on Lucas too.

My avatar
moonlily
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby moonlily » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:34 pm

steph - why avoid microfibre?? is it because of the drying effect it has?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:46 am

moonlily wrote:steph - why avoid microfibre?? is it because of the drying effect it has?

No because it's under a fleece or suedecloth inner...
I think it could be because it is a sweaty material so the skin can't breathe as much - also it doesn't wick the the wee away from the skin like bamboo and hemp do it kinda sits there and squelches more if that makes sense?

Dunno really I just know that if we use microfibre as the closest layer to the liner/inner (hidden in the nappy is ok but I prefer not to) then we get rashes after only 1-2 nappies :roll:

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:52 am

Just want to say thanks for the advice everyone! We were able to clear it up just using the suggestions given. :wine:

Return to Nappy Rash