hf1

Burns on bum

My avatar
lainey1978
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Burns on bum

Postby lainey1978 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Amber has never had a nappy rash in either sposies or cloth. However since starting to pt this week She has developed a really red sore bum with blisters all over it. I have been leaving her bare bummed as much as poss but last night she was up loads and I am sure it was cause her bum was sore. At the moment she is covered in metanium and has a sposie on for her nap. Any suggestions please.?

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Burns on bum

Postby cat27m » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:48 pm

We've had this problem with Rowan and she is now to go for a skin test to check for a latex allergy. It's cleared up since we've put in her pants with no exposed elastic. It's horrible, the skin looks like it's been burnt and then it blisters and peels. :(
Is it all over her wee bum? Rowan's starts at the elastic line but then spreads all over the area. I've been smothering her in Epaderm which seems to help. Hope Amber gets some relief soon. :hug:

My avatar
lainey1978
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby lainey1978 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Its worse at knicker line and when i think about it any time she wore a PUL wrap instead of wool she would get some markings around her legs.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Perhaps you could get some pants with covered elastic to see if that helps. I got some from Rae at Approved by Kayleigh and have since discovered that Marks and Spencers underwear has no latex and so far she seems to be OK with them as well. Hope you find out what's causing it - it's horrible to see them so sore. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
quirkyfae
Clothie
Clothie

Postby quirkyfae » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm

My LO has had a very similar problem ever since he started walking. He got redness where his (cloth) nappy rubbed, which then spread and became burn-like, blistering and peeling. It must be so sore, sometimes he would cry when I was cleaning him up, and he was often grumpy for no clear reason which I put down to having a sore bot. Our GP prescribed a cream with hydrocortisone in which did help a lot, but you can't use it for long periods of time, and it stains really badly so he had to wear sposies whilst using it. However, it never fully went away, and came back just as bad once we stopped applying.
I've discovered that the best thing for his poor bot is a terry and wool. Fleece is okay, but wool seems best. The rash is clearing up even faster than when he was using the cream, and he just seems so much more comfortable.
My advice is that you try to find pants with no latex in, stick to just cotton as far as you can. You could also try the shorties kind instead of briefs as the elastic around the legs tends to be looser and in a place that doesn't chafe as easily. Perhaps return to cloth and wool for naps and nighttime. Hope it gets better soon.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 pm

DD was exactly the same for the about two weeks after she first started wearing pants. I wondered if it was an allergy to the elastic around the edge of her pants - I was trying to only use our ABK ones as they have a stretchy fabric edge rather than exposed elastic, but MIL bought a load of cheap pants from Matalan and DD always seemed to be wearing them when I picked her up :nono:

I asked her to try and stick with the ABK knickers as much as possible, and I also used Sudacrem or Waitrose bum butter. DD had never had a rash in nappies, but this was horrible, like blisters which the scabbed over - it was so sore and she hated me touching it to clean her.

It seems to have pretty much gone away now, she still has it occasionally, but not as bad as those first few days - I have some more ABK pants on the way from the latest co-op, and I have also bought the pattern to make my own pants for DD as I'd like to have enough for her to be full-time in those - problem is that somedays we go through 3 pairs of pants :giggle:

Return to Nappy Rash