hf1

Nappy rash :( - full of TMI!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Nappy rash :( - full of TMI!

Postby tanya » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:52 am

This is not a post of help, how do I combat the nappy rash - I can probably manage that, if I can sort out the problem causing it.

He's teething - he's just had 2 come through and has 2 more coming through. And he's pooping into every nappy. Sometimes that's just productive farting, sometimes full on runny nastiness. We're using sposies atm as he is going through so many nappies in a day (10 yesterday :shock: ).

I am using a non-talc powder to make sure he is dry, lashings of sudocrem (for now, will switch to metanium or bepanthen if the rash continues) and using cotton wool and water to wipe him. But that's my issue, even water and cotton wool is making him either whimper or full-on scream, and I have to wash his bum every time I change his nappy :(

Help - how can I make nappy changes easier on us both? Anything I can add to the water to make it less sore on his bum?

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Nappy rash :( - full of TMI!

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 am

I feel for you. We have had times like that. There is not much I can suggest except obviously just wipe as gently as possible. :hug: for you Little man. Hope it clears up soon.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 am

Cooled chamomile tea can really help to soothe little bottoms, just dip the cotton wool in it before wiping. I'd be tempted to use a barrier cream (if you have a Waitrose near you, their Bottom Butter is fantastic and no nasties). FWIW I've never found Sudocream to be of any use on anything ever so I would switch now, but that just might be us.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:59 am

Definitely switch to metanium - I wouldn't use anything else.
I used camomile tea (just make a big jug of it and pour it once its cold over your wipes)
Ive found it really soothing on sore bottom.
If its runny -try switching to fleece wipes rather than cotton wool - much less scratchy.

Have you tried distracting him whilst you are doing it.
Maybe changing downstairs in lounge with TV on, or do you have a mobile/ musical thingy that you could use for him.
When DS's bottom was particularly bad (and only really happened once or twice - but was also due to teething) - I'd give him something to eat whilst I did it. I know, not ideal for him to have something lying down - but it meant I could literally change his nappy in less than a minute - he was distracted & it kept his 'helping hands' away!

:hug:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:59 am

Ouchy poor Jake :hug: Is nappy free time an option to get lots of fresh air around him - even if you have to chase him to clean up the poo the fresh air would help. Im no help with what to put in the water as Ive never added anything for nappy rash so wouldnt know what to suggest, although Im sure Ive read chamomile tea can help :? Metanium has always cleared nappy rashes really quickly here :hug:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 am

In our nappy basket we have sudocrem, metanium, bepanthen, kamilosan etc - Bella never used to respond to Sudocrem, so we tried lots of others, but Jake does seem to respond to it, hence starting with that. But if the layer he has on now doesn't work, I will switch to one of the better ones.

I'll get some Chamomile teabags when we go shopping later. I think I may cut up a muslin or something to try as a wipe - we usually use sposie wipes with no issues, but he literally screams if that goes anywhere near this soreness :( I can't use fleece as he's sensitive to it, so I'm thinking his skin would react to it and make the rash worse.

Bella's skin only ever did this once (and got much worse before it got better), whereas his just seems so sensitive that it feels like a rarity to have a completely clear bum on him :(

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:39 am

Ive found OBV wipes to be the softest and most gentle on the skin.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 am

Aww poor Jake :( a sore bum like that must be horrid :( :hug: Deffo cham tea...its great! You wont see results right away but it doesn sooth and start to take the redness out pretty quickly! Im another that finds sudo a bit useless really...the only cream that I have used on Darcie is burts bee's and that was really good :)

Hope it clears up soon, poor lad!! :hug:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 am

You can also add a chamomile tea bag to the bath water :D

Next

Return to Nappy Rash