White bean and butternut veggie burgers

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

White bean and butternut veggie burgers

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:34 pm

I made these last night and they were a great hit. Sorry about not exact measurements, I dont' use recipes much and tend to just chuck stuff in!

1 large jar white beans (mine had 400 gm total bean weight) - or if you are good soak and make from scratch!
1/2 butternut pumpkin / squash (depending where you are from!)
2 medium onions
2 large cloves of garlic (or to taste - could have easily had more or less if you don't like garlic ( :lookround: )!)
1 egg (or 2 if they are small and you think it needs it)
2 slices of brown grainy bread (mine had walnuts in it)
Large handful or two of fresh herbs (I used parsly and only one but next time I'll put more and probably add chives too) chopped
Flour or extra breadcrumbs
Salt
Pepper
curry spices

• Chop the butternut into squares and boil until tender but not mushy.
  • While that is happening finely chop your onions and gently fry to soften with the garlic crushed, add a couple of teaspoons of your favorite curry spices (I used some tumeric and then a blend I have in the cupboard).
  • Allow all to cool a bit (if you have time!) and place in a large mixing bowl and squash it all up until it is a consistancy you like (I left it slightly chunky with not all the beans squashed) then add in your brown bread (turned into crumbs - I do all my chopping for the whole recipe with a little chopper bowl that goes on the end of my stick mixer), herbs, salt , pepper and egg.
  • Give it a good mix - it should be reasonably firm - if it is too runny (as mine was a bit to start) add some breadcrumbs or flour to the mixture.
  • Form into rissoles / patties or even little veggie balls, roll in a little flour or breadcrumbs and leave on a floured plate for 1/2 hour or more (if you have time - if not just put them on to cook!). I got 5 adult sized rissoles and 2 baby sized from the mix - they freeze quite well when cooked (haven't tried uncooked) and just heat in the microwave.
  • These can be cooked in the frying pan with some olive oil, or in the oven - give them a spray of oil or brush some on, also lovely on the BBQ (if you have a solid plate - they wouldn't cope with a grill).
  • Serve with potatoes and veg or delicious made into a burger, we have them with pita breads, hommous and salad

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: White bean and butternut veggie burgers

Postby confusinglady » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Yummy!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:12 pm

@MissFrodo I'd posted it in the 'healthy eating' section so maybe why you couldn't find it!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Aww thanks will give this a try!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:57 pm

We had these for dinner tonight! They were yummy, though I think I'd swap some of the butternut squash for white potatoes as I needed quite a bit of flour to bind the mix. Next time I think I'll take the boys' out and then add some fresh chillies to the rest for us.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Awww lovely to know someone has tried them! As I said I just make it up as I go along and mine were very fragile as I hadn't added enough anything (hence why I suggested the breadcrumbs or flour) adding some potato is a great idea! let me know what proportions you do @sim and maybe I should try to measure a bit more carefully next time to put the sizes up as obviously '1/2 a butternut' is a bit like as long as a piece of string! Adding the chillies sounds a fab idea, one of the curry mixes I used had chilli but fresh would be fab!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:25 pm

I think it's what happens using pumpkin, mine version had the same problem.

Return to Healthy Eating