hf1

Wean me off disposable wipes!

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Wean me off disposable wipes!

Postby x2008xbabyx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, but since I started using cloth wipes, I'm converted! I only wet enough for a day, and if I have any left at the end of the day, they go in the nappy wash in the evening, and then onto an airer overnight and they're usually dry by the morning. I did read a few threads about mouldy wipes, and I think problems can start with mould if you have wipes with food particles on in the nappy bucket with everything else, so any wipes I use for cleaning off food just go in with the normal washing, and any used for nappy changes go in the bucket with the nappies. Not had any mould yet, but I've not been converted long either!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

When I used to store them wet I had 2 in cloth & so we went through a box every other day so they never went musty :wink: Nowadays I just wet them under the tap as I go as we don't use as many :giggle:

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:11 pm

We keep things simple, just put water into a spray bottle and store the wipes dry. Spray DDs botty, then wipe. Easy! No need to make up solution, and no chance of wipes going mouldy because they have been stored wet.

If you wanted to make the water smell nice, you could a couple of drops of lavender oil/apricot oil/baby bath etc (Johnsons if you like the smell!).

We have some wetbags for out and about, there are a lot of options other than Monkeyfoot, we have some of these
http://www.babykind.co.uk/nappyessentials.htm#mttote
(much prefer zips to drawstring)

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:16 pm

I need to get back into washable wipes...I have hundreds and used them all the time when Kieren was in cloth but since he is in disp nappies we got out of the habbit...I dont actually have any issues with disp wipes at all...I have done the face test with a pampers sensitive wipe and it never stings or anything...maybe if it did then i would be more determind to use the cloth ones :-?

Maybe i need some nice solution...

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 pm

scarlet wrote:We use wipe solution out and about and at home because I'm lazy! :wink:
The way I think about it is i spend the money id save on depo wipes on the solution , I like using it and it makes my life easier! Especially if you like scented things you can get some lovely scents for the wipe wash or make your own like others have said. I used to make my own but like I said i'm lazy, so just buy it! :giggle:
I don't even wet the wipes be4 hand as I find a pump of wipe solution enough.

We pretty much always use wipe solution, I like Northern Essences or Sheepish Grins ... and now that I have the foaming bottles I often make my own with a squirt of Burts Bees Baby Wash, some cooled boiled water & a few drops of some essential oils - sweet orange, lemon & camomile.

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 pm

ladybird wrote:
doobykat wrote:
ladybird wrote:Am I the only person who worries about storing things damp, or keeping water/solution for too long?

I did wonder about that when we first started using the Cheeky Wipes set, after all, if you store damp clothes for any length of time, they go all mouldy/musty smelling :-?
But the wipes don't, for whatever reason. Maybe the oils have some kind of anti-bac properties that help keep things fresh? They always smell really nice, so now I just don't think anything of it... :oops:

I guess the oils will help. Just because you can't see any mould though, doesn't mean the bacteria aren't there. I think it's just me being paranoid though, we have to be very careful with some stuff.

I never liked storing wet wipes for that reason too Shadow. When going out, I would fill up the spray bottle, then empty it when I got in, but it was for emergency use only (I would always use fresh, if available). :hohoho:

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:46 am

I like to store my wipes dry too - if I am at home or someones house I just run them under the tap before use, sometimes I use Ewe need it foaming wipes solution but we have run out atm so back to plain old water! I haven't bought a packet of disposable wipes for nearly 2 years now - I just stopped buying them, you soon get used to not having them around!

My avatar
hermya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby hermya » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 pm

I use the cheeky wipes set, for me it was easier that way. The set I got came with a little monkey foot wetbag. My wipes don't seem to go moldy, but then again they do get used and washed within about a day or so of being in the tub.

I still take disposable wipes out with us though, the boy is a bit of a sicky baby and I find baby wipes good for wiping up the chaos.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 pm

It's not so much mould for me, it's what you can't see leading up to the mould and the knowledge that stagnant liquids can carry all sorts regardless of what they look like.

PreviousNext

Return to Washable Wipes