hf1

Would like to start using washable wipes

My avatar
meowow
Clothie
Clothie

Would like to start using washable wipes

Postby meowow » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi everyone, I would like to start using reusable wipes.. but don't know where to start! I don't really want to spend fortunes on them either... so does anyone know how to make some, or if you can buy them cheaply?
Also I would like to make my own solution ... what do you put in yours? and can you buy this cheap also..
Thanks a lot any advice is greatly appreciated... I use cloth nappies so I can just chuck them in with my nappy wash

Regards,
Hannah

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Would like to start using washable wipes

Postby knees_on » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 pm

There are quite a lot of posts similar to this with lots of helpful info in them :D

You won't look back ffrom washable wipes :wine: When I first converted I made my own. Little squares out of an old tired t-shirt one side and fleece the other. I just zig zagged down the edges with my sewing machine. That was over a year ago and I am still using them!! :wine:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:23 pm

You don't need solution, water does the job. We just used to run a few wipes under the tap at changing time.

As for making them, cutting up an old sheet or towel, or picking up some cheap flannels, anything like that will do the job. They don't need to be double sided. Personal favs. are bamboo velour, cotton terry or flannel.

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Wahms on ebay sell them for reasonable prices. My first ones were cut up bits of fleece.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 pm

We just use a spray bottle with water, you can get bottles for a few pence in Superdrug.
The wipes we use are the 'value' ones from Babykind.
If you want something a bit more special and pretty, then Looby Lu's do lovely ones too.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:19 pm

You won't look back once you start using them.
Try using some cut up old Terry/ towels or flannels. I love fleece backed ones, the fleece is great for just wet nappies or when bottoms are sore. But the Terry part is good for those sticky poos!
I love using. Cold camomile tea for solution. But water works perfectly fine too!

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:36 pm

WTS^^ we just use old tshirts cut into wipes and machine stitched together. Some of them are fleece backed.
I use plain old cold water unless theres massive pooage. I have a small spray bottle in my bag just in case we are somewhere without water but most of the time I use tapwater.
We did cloth wipes with ds1 and with ds2 only difference I have made, is not wiping after just a wet nappy and ec'ing from 8 weeks (which has meant just about all poos now go in the potty at 5 months). So with ds2 we actually use very few wipes and he has never had nappy rash to date.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:23 pm

i'm no good at stitching so i bought most of mine preloved. we found fleece ones no good... terry cotton are good (it catches the poo). i'm going to sell some of mine (i have too many now DD goes to nursery) - i was going to list them on classifieds - 10 tie died pink minki/hemp, small ones for £4 all in. no stains! let me know if you fancy trying x

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Ramsoms

What does ECing mean?

Thanks.

Next

Return to Washable Wipes