MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Wool care

Postby MrC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 am

Wool Care

Why use wool?
Wool can be used as an alternative to PUL or fleece covers for cloth nappies. Wool is more breathable than either of these materials and also has anti-bacterial properties. It needs to be treated with lanolin to make it water-resistant.

Wool is surprisingly easy to care for. It is self-cleaning and only requires occasional washing (when soiled or if it still smells after airing) and lanolising about once a month.

How to care for your wool
Most new wool products are lanolised at least once when you receive them so are ready to wear (but check with your seller first), although they will need more frequent lanolising to begin with until they are fully functioning. If they feel damp on the outside after use then they probably need lanolising.

After use, leave your items to air dry. They should smell fresh when dry – if not then they may need washing or lanolising.

Wool items can be hand-washed using a mild soap such as olive oil soap or other wool washes.

Lanolising
To lanolise using solid lanolin, add a level teaspoon of lanolin to a bowl with a few drops of baby bath and then pour on boiling water until it has melted and you have a milky liquid. Add more water to the bowl if necessary (you need to cover the wool completely) and then, when the water is hand-hot, add your items. Leave to soak for 12 hours and then remove from the water. Roll in a towel to remove most of the moisture and then dry flat.

If you are lanolising more than one item you will need more lanolin; if you use too much your items may feel sticky to start with but will be fine.

WARNING: I would advise you to lanolise one pair at a time until you are sure that no colour will run out as it may transfer from one pair to another. (this did happen to me!) If you are using wool cure or lanolising wooly washes then simply follow the instructions provided.

Return to Cloth Nappy Tree Wiki