Please recommend a scent-free laundry detergent

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Please recommend a scent-free laundry detergent

Postby monsterm » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Juli wrote:
monsterm wrote:How generous of them! I would use the liquid they sent for the moment & then switch to the powder when it runs out. Powder is better for the machine but 1 small bottle won't do any harm. I would be careful when doing nappy loads. Make sure you rinse well to prevent build up.

Method don't do powder. Or do you mean the Ecover powder?

Sorry! We can't get method here so I assumed they had a powder as well. Tbh I wouldn't use a liquid on nappies as they cause rotten build up but maybe someone who has used method can say how they find it.

@mummy_mi Do you use method on your nappies hun?

My avatar
mummy_mi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mummy_mi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Nope I dont, I use Ecover powder mostly, I know some people dont like it for nappies But I've found it find. I only use liquids on dark/coloured clothes washes and powder on lights.

i use different stuff for nappies, sometimes whatever we've got in for clothes ecover/simply etc and sometimes something like rockin green. xx

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 pm

mummy_mi wrote:Nope I dont, I use Ecover powder mostly, I know some people dont like it for nappies But I've found it find. I only use liquids on dark/coloured clothes washes and powder on lights.

i use different stuff for nappies, sometimes whatever we've got in for clothes ecover/simply etc and sometimes something like rockin green. xx

Do you use Ecover bio or non-bio on nappies?

My avatar
belfastyank
Clothie
Clothie

Postby belfastyank » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Coming back to the topic- I forgot to mention that although Method does the only unscented bio I've come across, Tesco's version of Vanish Oxy stain remover doesn't have perfume in it (its been a while since I bought my tub of it, so I'm assuming they still make it). I've never tried it with my nappies, but maybe worth adding to your wash for a boost.

I'm curious how you found the Method. The shops near me don't stock the unscented kind, but I've gone through loads of the scented stuff. The couple times I tried it on the nappies it didn't seem to work any better than non-bio. I'm assuming it wouldn't be too bad for nappies as far as build-up, though, because you're using so very little.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 pm

I haven't actually washed nappies yet, as baby is still about 6 weeks away :giggle: But I've been using the method liquid they sent me, but only for our red and purple bed linen, as powder always leaves a residue on those. For everything else I was using Co-op bio powder, which smells quite strongly of lavender when you first open it, but it seems to dissipate quite quickly, until it ran out a few days ago. Now I'm using Sainsbury's bio powder - they do one for whites and one for coloureds, and that has a very subtle scent, so I'm happy with it from that perspective (to clarify, I'm not allergic to perfume or anything, I just really don't like strong perfumes). It seems to be doing a good job getting the washing clean. I'll have to update again in a couple of months to tell you how washing nappies is going.

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies