hf1

Washing disaster - fabric conditioner

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Washing disaster - fabric conditioner

Postby emsy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 am

last week my nan had the kids for the day and whilst they were their she washed the nappies that tj had used before she brought them home !
really helpful but the only problem is she washed them in fabric conditioner :oops: and lots of it by the smell of them :doh: so i washed them again and thought they would be fine
anyway now Ive but now they are just leaking :cry: Ive just put my favourite WN on and he pretty much just weed down his legs :(

what damage does fabric conditioner do to cloth nappies ? how can i sort them out ?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Washing disaster - fabric conditioner

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 am

I bought some preloved bamboozles which turned out to have been washed in the dreaded fabric conditioner.

I stripped & stripped mine and it worked!
I think I did it 3 times in total!
Worth giving it a try.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:35 am

WSS just strip them it's only the oils that coat the fabric. Back before time began my Mum use to use fabric softener on mine not sure I was a super light wetter or if the softener was different but she always try's to put it in I've given up and given her her own nappies ;)
Last edited by KimmyM on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 am

The conditioner coats the fibres. A strip wash should sort it out. Or giving them a quick handwash with washing up liquid prior to a regular nappy wash. It gets rid of the grease.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 am

Just as Allie said the fabric conditioner coats the fibers making it unable to absorb the wee. A good few stripings should sort it out.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies