hf1

Help washing preloved wee smelling nappies.

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Help washing preloved wee smelling nappies.

Postby Rufies mama » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 pm

I've bought few Itti Bitti AIOs from ebay recently, and they smell of wee! One didn't smell that strong when it arrived but when I washed it prior to use, the wee stench that came out of my warm dryer was horrible and sickly.

How can I get rid of the smell? I thought about stripping (though this didn't work with a fitted I bought once) but these are AIOs so I have to be careful with the PUL. What method would you use to de-stink and/or strip AIOs please??

My own nappies have never smelt of wee...

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Help washing preloved wee smelling nappies.

Postby Louise » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm

I don't think stripping them in the usual way would damage the PUL at all. I always wash all my nappies at 60. I'd just strip as normal using a full dose of bio powder. Unless you think its the lining fabric that's causing the problem. Suedecloth and fleece can hold onto smells badly. Its best to strip those by scrubbing with washing up liquid then washing as normal with extra rinses at the end.

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Louise wrote:I don't think stripping them in the usual way would damage the PUL at all. I always wash all my nappies at 60. I'd just strip as normal using a full dose of bio powder. Unless you think its the lining fabric that's causing the problem. Suedecloth and fleece can hold onto smells badly. Its best to strip those by scrubbing with washing up liquid then washing as normal with extra rinses at the end.

What is 'the normal way'? I stripped a fitted once (a smelly bought one) but it didn't work and I can't remember how I did it.
I always wash my nappies at 60c too, but with half dose non-bio. For the smelly ones, should I try, scrubbing the innards with washing up liquid first, then bunging them in with the rest of my wash on 60c but with bio instead? I always do extra rinses afterwards.

Thanks

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 am

The normal way to strip a nappy is to do a cold rinse, wash at either 40c or 60c with a full dose of washing powder (bio is definitely better than non) and then rinse, rinse, rinse until no more bubbles. (I usually need to do about 6 rinses for a strip wash.) Like Louise said, the washing up liquid trick should help. But I'd still be tempted to do a strip wash afterwards, just to be sure. I've never had a problem stripping anything with PUL (I'll throw wraps and pockets in a strip wash with no bother).

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:23 am

I thought the normal way was to use white vinegar, thats how i did it - worked brilliantly. I cant see how adding lots of detergent will actually strip the nappy tbh :-?

When i did it (and yes, it included ittis and they were all fine) i did usual small nappy dose of detergent, add a spoon full of bicarb to the same compartment. Fill the fabric softener draw with white vinegar then do your normal nappy wash and rinse, rinse rinse. Worked brilliantly.

It will get rid of build up, any smells and leave them sparkly x

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:03 am

@Rox I'm keen to try that method - did you wash at 40c or 60c? xx

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 am

I've never used vinegar as it damages elastic and PUL. Washing with a full dose of powder has always worked perfectly for me.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:15 am

CherryPie wrote:@Rox I'm keen to try that method - did you wash at 40c or 60c? xx

I used to do my normal wash which was a pre-wash, 60 wash with extra water then extra rinse (then keep rinsing until all bubbles have gone - if there is detergent build up, if not, they should be good)

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 am

Louise wrote:I've never used vinegar as it damages elastic and PUL. Washing with a full dose of powder has always worked perfectly for me.

From what i understood at the time it only damaged it if soaked for a period of time, thats from the old days when they used to soak them in buckets. They are only briefly in contact with the vinegar when in a washing machine and it is heavily diluted down.

I stripped my nappies twice in their life using this method and they were always fine after and have gone on to new homes and new homes after that etc so cant have done them any damage.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies