hf1

Help washing preloved wee smelling nappies.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Help washing preloved wee smelling nappies.

Postby mudita » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 pm

I think vinegar is good for hard water build up but I find bio better for smells. Washing up liquid ( a scant teaspoon in the drum) works really well for us too. I add soda crystals as well, to either, as we have very hard water and I am convinced that helps too. There are lots of ways, really.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:11 pm

You've had this problem before with preloved nappies havent you?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:01 pm

rachymoo wrote:You've had this problem before with preloved nappies havent you?

Well only once in the past, its not normally been a problem - but suddenly I seem to have had an influx of smellies, my sister has bought some that have the same problem. The odd thing is, they're all Itti Bittis so I'm wondering if its an Itti Bitti thing..? :-?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for your help ladies. We'll be giving some of your ideas a try. :thumbsup:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Cos of my rinsing obsession, I never had to strip, but I always thought Rox's method was how to do it, and back when dd was in cloth (2008), that is how folk seemed to do it, with no issues. It doesn't make sense to me to add extra detergent when the purpose is to remove detergent!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Hmm...I bought a terrible condition itti bitti tutto from here recently with the same problem-awful *AWFUL* smell, stained inner and out of condition minkee. I gather that the last not-so-careful owner never used a tumble dryer meaning that it never quite dried out perhaps?? Let us know how you get on...I have loads of my own itti bitti dlish and tuttos without the same problem though x

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Dora wrote:Hmm...I bought a terrible condition itti bitti tutto from here recently with the same problem-awful *AWFUL* smell, stained inner and out of condition minkee. I gather that the last not-so-careful owner never used a tumble dryer meaning that it never quite dried out perhaps?? Let us know how you get on...I have loads of my own itti bitti dlish and tuttos without the same problem though x

Well, we stripped them last night and I have to say they are a lot better. There is still the vaguest whiff but that won't be helped by the fact that we both have pregnancy induced super sensitive noses!
We sat at the table and wet the nappies with warm water, adding a dash of washing up liquid onto the smelly places, then I scrubbed mine with a toothbrush while my sister just rubbed hers together.
Then we rinsed the washing up liquid off in the shower, chukcked them in the washing machine with a full does of Bio Powder (Co-op) and on a 'super quick' wash which is what I always use for nappies and my own nappies never smell, and on 60c.
Then I put them on 'rinses' 3 times and tumble dried.

It is diappointing when you buy a baddy. I hope you manage to get rid of the smell in your nappies. I've had a bad run with preloved stuff in general at the moment which I always take as a sign that I need to take a break from buying!!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 pm

That's more or less the same settings that I use normally as well no problem so far with mine so far...
I will try the same on my baddy-I did try an overnight soak in washing up liquid with a mega rinse that did Nothing with a capital N ;-)so obviously sterner stuff is needed!!
Glad the stench is gone for you-especially with your pregnancy nose :giggle:

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I take it back! I've just had the nappies sitting on the couch next to me and now all I can smell is wee. :( I'll try again but without the washing up liquid this time. :night:

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies