Nappy Sanitisers

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Nappy Sanitisers

Postby sophie90 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey everybody
I was wondering about nappy sanitisers, I saw that totsbots and bambino mio do a range of sanitisers that you just add to normal detergent and whilst trawling google :D I also saw that there were a few 'cottage' brands that you could buy too.
Just wondered if any of you have used sanitisers, if so which brands and which brands did you prefer?
I do know you dont have to use sanitisers but thought I may as well look into them whilst I'm learning all about cloth nappies!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Nappy Sanitisers

Postby Louise » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Most of us don't use them as they are not needed with modern washing machines and detergents. They can actually shorten the life of your nappies so I really wouldn't recommend using them at all.

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:32 am

Oh wow, Thanks for letting me know! I'll just stick to our regular wash powder then!
x

My avatar
NaturalNursery
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby NaturalNursery » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:16 pm

I do a mixture - some washes just normal non-bio and other washes I use Tots Potion.

Axx

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:06 pm

So I suppose it's just an opinion/preference thing then? As I have also seen posts on here regarding using bio compared to non bio etc...
:-?

My avatar
Hippychick
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Hippychick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Just wondered how many people actually do use sanitiser? I'm on cloth bumbed baby number 3 and have always used a dessertspoon of napisan plus a teaspoon of washing powder for each half load of nappies, as I felt this made up for using low heat wash cycles (40 degrees almost all the time).Never had an issue with PUL going, never needed to strip them, and some of my ME nappies are from DD1 and still going strong! I do linedry/air and suppose not tumble drying may make a difference but is sanitiser really that bad for them?

Are the people who

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:25 pm

I washed using a tablespoon each of bold powder and Bio D. Rinsed lots, nappies never smelly, always sparkly clean, and never needed stripped.

No sign of fabric probs either - not on fitteds, pockets, pul or elastic.

In 2 years of nappy loads I used 2 boxes of the bio D, so it lasted well.

We have very soft water.

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Hmmm, so I suppose really it's just something we have to decide ourselves then?
We dont have a tumble dryer so would also be line drying (or at the moment using our airer whilst the weather is so rubbishy!)
I was going to to get some napisan and give it a trial run when we start building up our nappy collection!! Suppose we'll just have to decide after we've used it then!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm another that didn't bother. I did try OneLife and BioD, but didn't find them of any benefit at all. If you're going to try one, don't use Napisan, it's supposed to be the nastiest of nasties, to the environment and your cloth.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies