Silly question - cistern and rim blocks

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Silly question - cistern and rim blocks

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 am

Hi

I'm just starting out with reusable nappies after using disposables with my daughter and son until now. We're expecting again so am hoping to make the change to reusables with my son before LO comes as I've always wanted to try them but never gotten around to it.

I have what is probably a really silly question.... If you rinse a liner or nappy in the toilet to get the poop off would a cistern block or rim block dye or damage the material? My mum uses ones that make the water blue and I don't really fancy dying all the nappies blue...... Also I think some contain bleach so would they do anything??

Hoping someone can help.

Thanks

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Silly question - cistern and rim blocks

Postby red_dwarf » Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 am

I dont use cistern blocks so wouldnt know from first hand experiance, but I wouldnt risk using that water incase it did trash my nappies. Can you rinse the nappy off into a bucket and then pour the water down the loo?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 pm

I stopped using them as I dont want any nasties going on the nappy I just clean the toilet every night before bed and have never had a problem.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 pm

I rinsed mine ina bucket with the shower spray then tipped the water down the loo

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm

lazylexis wrote:I rinsed mine ina bucket with the shower spray then tipped the water down the loo

Yep, this! Much more hygenic :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu May 10, 2012 12:39 pm

am I the only one that doesn't rinse nappies??? If it is sold poop I just shake it down the loo or with William I just pop in the nappy bucket x

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu May 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Kirstyh wrote:am I the only one that doesn't rinse nappies??? If it is sold poop I just shake it down the loo or with William I just pop in the nappy bucket x

I was just about to say.. i NEVER rinsed a nappy.. NB & BF poo nappies went right in the wash (they are mostly made of water :wink: ) and once she started on solids i used to flick it into the loo and if necessary use toilet roll to get the worst off. Never ever rinsed it, didnt want a soggy nappy dripping everywhere or sitting in the nappy bucket.

Never had any problems, it all came out in the wash.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu May 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Kirstyh wrote:am I the only one that doesn't rinse nappies??? If it is sold poop I just shake it down the loo or with William I just pop in the nappy bucket x

Probably not. I think it depends on the child! :wink: K's nappies were always awful so I rinsed them. There was no way I'd put them straight in the machine or ever be able to shake off any solids :lol: When M was ebf then I just popped them in the bucket. Now I just shake the solids off and pop in the bucket.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

I just throw the poopy nappies in the bucket and leave them there til it's washing time. All the wet nappies go in the washing machine, then the poopy ones get rinsed in the bucket. I wouldn't risk a nappy turning blue :giggle: but I don't use cistern clocks anyway. Bleach would be fine on a plain white nappy, but would damage coloured or pretty nappies. As others have said, if you plan to breastfeed then the nappies will be okay without being rinsed, BF poo comes out easily enough.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies