hf1

Silly question - cistern and rim blocks

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Silly question - cistern and rim blocks

Postby lazylexis » Thu May 10, 2012 2:08 pm

I don't tend to rinse often- only when not solid enough to flick and toilet rolls not up to the job!

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I can't believe how quickly everyone has answered my questions.. :thumbsup:

It was my mum who said about dunking / flushing in the loo as that's what she used to do with our terrys but then she used to have them soaking. Really not liking the idea of dirty nappies dripping everywhere or the puddle at the bottom of the bin.

We are starting off with DS who is 2 so that we can get used to it before LO comes along. LO will be breastfed but unfortunately DS gets very messy poops 2-3 times a day (sometimes more) so that's a lot of poop just to leave sitting in the wash bin/bag. His poops are never solid more of a gloopy, sticky porridge sort of thing (sorry TMI) and are very smelly so I wouldn't be able to flick it off although I did think about getting some kind of scraper to try and scrape it off and don't like the thought of leaving it as the smell from one is enough to make you wretch so a multitude of them would not be fun....

We could stop using the blocks but as its does seem a bit unhygienic to flush the nappy anyway I think the shower and bucket idea is worth a go. I was just thinking the force of the flush would dislodge most of the bits without getting too messy (DH will be doing it as well and he's a bit squeamish)....

Someone once said to me before you have children you wouldn't dream of discussing bodily functions - after you have them all you seem to do is talk about them...

Thanks for all the help.
xxx

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm

We have a separate toilet so I haven't ever tried the bucket idea but with dunking and flushing I ring them out so not too much icky water. And with wetbag you generally wash them at the same time just push inside out to empty the bag and pop in the machine all at once so no dripping.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Kirstyh wrote:am I the only one that doesn't rinse nappies??? If it is sold poop I just shake it down the loo or with William I just pop in the nappy bucket x

I never rinse either. Though if it's solid I will shake it down loo x

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu May 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Same here, I never used to rinse them and I found the flush on our toilet wasn't strong enough to do much but leave me holding a dirty soggy nappy.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu May 10, 2012 5:10 pm

dodda wrote:I did think about getting some kind of scraper to try and scrape it off
xxx

When I started using cloth on my two youngest my mum told me she used to keep an old knife (not sharp obviously) by the loo to scrape the terry nappies, but in those days you didn't just threw them in the washing machine anyway.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu May 10, 2012 5:41 pm

I never rinsed. I tried it once and it was disgusting. Didn't really remove anything, and I was left with a sodden disgusting nappy.

I dry pailed, no issues with disgusting caked on poo coming off, ever. I rinsed, washed, rinsed again.

For quite a while we used paper liners and that made it easier (runny poo no good on paper, but porrridgey poo was ok) to just chuck all the poo in the loo.

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dodda » Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks everyone for you messages. I have just ordered some disposable liners to try out as well and will sort out a bucket and scraper. I guess it's all just trial and error until you find what works.

Xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am

I also used paper liners (the ones that coped with washing a few times if not pooed on - little green earth babies or something?) when poo was very regular, when they were more solid I just put them in the toilet and if needed I rinsed in the laundry sink (but understand that in the UK a lot don't have these) if really bad. I also had an old kitchen knife by the loo for when it was too much for loo paper!

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies