Washing routine help please!

My avatar
sophDC
Clothie
Clothie

Washing routine help please!

Postby sophDC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi everyone

My DD has been using cloth since day1 so far so good, until more recently ( don't know if the hot weather has got anything to do with it) her nappies smell about an hour after she has just been put in it. Just a mild- but noticeable urine smell.
Nappies come out the machine smelling neutral.
I used to use a rinse cycle or double rinse followed by a cottons eco 60 deg with a small scoop of Bold and 2/3 rinses . Dirty nappies and AIO would be washed together whilst wet nappies including pockets such as night nappies and Fuzzibunz were washed separately on 40 deg.
Result: neutral smelling nappies out of the washing machine, but smelt of wee as soon as they were wet or not even worn for an hour.
So, I stripped a load of nappies;
Superquick at 30 deg wash, no spin with a bit of Bold, drain, then a cottons eco 60 deg wash with no detergent then rinses until no bubbles are seen.
Not a great deal of difference.
So, maybe i have been using too little detergent, so now I am using a level tablespoon/blue scoop of Bold.
New wash cycle seems to be:
Double rinse --tbsp Bold --Cottons eco 60 deg, wash plus, rinse plus, no spin-- drain--superquick cold wash no spin-- drain-- if any bubbles remain rinse again-- spin 1200rpm

I replaced the several rinses with the superquick cold wash ~(12min) as my rinse cycle takes only 6 minutes and 14mins if i select rinse plus. I have found that there are bubbles always at the end of a rinse, but I am unsure whether they could mostly be water agitation bubbles if you see what I mean. Where are the bubbles coming from as I use such a small amount of Bold?? I only see bubbles after a 6 min rinse and none after a 14 minutee rinse -which is probably deceiving me...!

I upped the quantity of Bold used now as thought I may have not been using enough to clean the nappies effectively.

Should I continue to replace the rinses at the end with a superquick cold wash? Any tips on detergent and how much to use...do your nappies smell neutral once washed or of detergernt?

Sorry for the long breakdown of my routines, past and present :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Washing routine help please!

Postby Louise » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:40 pm

In my experience the amount of powder you need to use depends on your water and also on your machine (newer machines use less water so you'll need to rinse more) . The harder your water the more powder you need to get things clean. I use almost a full dose of powder. My routine is cold rinse (12 minutes), then I've an intensive wash setting on my machine which is 3 hours and 8 minutes long so I use that and wash at 60. Then 2 further cold rinses at the end. Nappies shouldn't smell of anything when they come out of the machine. I don't bother seperating any of my nappies either, they all go in together. To strip nappies you really need a full dose of bio powder or soda crystals then rinse rinse rinse. I'm not sure a wash with a small amount of powder then one with no powder will remove any buildup.

My avatar
sophDC
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sophDC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:53 pm

thanks for the advice.
i don't separate them now, i used to as the inserts went a creamy yellow colour from being rinsed in the same water as dirty nappies. Luckily they are all white now.
Well, Thames Water hardness rating online says the water is hard, so I should be using more powder and it is a shame that newer washing machines need more rinses. So now more powder = more rinsing, right?
Also what do I do with regards to switching detergent, bold to ariel ( on offer -which is why i bought it)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Louise wrote:In my experience the amount of powder you need to use depends on your water and also on your machine (newer machines use less water so you'll need to rinse more) . The harder your water the more powder you need to get things clean. I use almost a full dose of powder. My routine is cold rinse (12 minutes), then I've an intensive wash setting on my machine which is 3 hours and 8 minutes long so I use that and wash at 60. Then 2 further cold rinses at the end. Nappies shouldn't smell of anything when they come out of the machine. I don't bother seperating any of my nappies either, they all go in together. To strip nappies you really need a full dose of bio powder or soda crystals then rinse rinse rinse. I'm not sure a wash with a small amount of powder then one with no powder will remove any buildup.

exactly what Louise said x

My avatar
AmyA
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AmyA » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 am

I think baby wee gets smellier around the age of 4 months anyway, so it might be her wee, not her nappies. That's what happened to us.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies