hf1

Best washing machine for washing nappies

My avatar
silentriver
Clothie
Clothie

Best washing machine for washing nappies

Postby silentriver » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 pm

My washing machine is around 3 years old, I think it's a Hoover washing machine. It takes nearly 3 hours to do a 60 wash. I'm noticing nappies I've bought pre loved have either not had great elastic when they arrived and I haven't noticed. Or my washing has put them over the edge and I can see the elastic going now. My boy is 4 months so I haven't had these nappies that long. I'm either going to have to replenish my nappies every couple of months or get a new washing machine to help save them.

Can anyone recommend a good washing machine that doesn't take an age to do a wash and doesn't kill my nappies.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Best washing machine for washing nappies

Postby Rox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:26 pm

I think all 60 washes are longer arent they, i know my 'whites' wash which has 60 available (i can adjust the temp to suit but there is a max temp for each setting) takes around 2 hours 40mins. Where as my colours wash at 40 finishes in 1.5hours.

My nappy wash is just over 3hours due to pre-wash and extra rinses and i never had a problem with elastic in mine. That was washing at 60 every time too with a 1600 spin speed.

What else do you do to them that might be harming the elastic, wet pail?, what chemicals do you use, do you tumble them or dry them on a radiator - have they been stretched when wet at all ? All of those can affect elastic x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Rox wrote:I think all 60 washes are longer arent they, i know my 'whites' wash which has 60 available (i can adjust the temp to suit but there is a max temp for each setting) takes around 2 hours 40mins. Where as my colours wash at 40 finishes in 1.5hours.

My nappy wash is just over 3hours due to pre-wash and extra rinses and i never had a problem with elastic in mine. That was washing at 60 every time too with a 1600 spin speed.

What else do you do to them that might be harming the elastic, wet pail?, what chemicals do you use, do you tumble them or dry them on a radiator - have they been stretched when wet at all ? All of those can affect elastic x

It depends on the machine, my machine has several 60 wash options that are 1 hour 20 mins long. I use the intensive setting for my nappies though and the wash alone is 3 hrs 8 minutes without the rinses at the beginning and end. I've had 3 different machines since I started using cloth and have never had any issues with elastic (I don't buy preloved though, only new) so I would say you may just be unlucky or there is something else in your nappy routine that is causing it.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 pm

I did initially write the same as i have several wash options with 60 (i can pick the temp on various cycles) with varying cycle lengths but i figured most machines dont.. or maybe they do now.

For a nappy wash though i was figuring the usual advice of a long cycle with lots of water so i guessed most of us use similar cycles regardless of machine ?

I would look at other things that might be causing it, i had nappies in use for 2years that were fine so buying pre-loved should be no different unless they were *really* old.

My avatar
silentriver
Clothie
Clothie

Postby silentriver » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 pm

I thought I had replied to this.

I did a rince, 60 wash, rince then a spin when I realised they were coming out soaking.

I don't put them in the tumble dryer at all. It seems that most of my pre loved nappies are failing at the elastic. I'm just scared I ruin the rest that are ok for the moment.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Are the ones failing the same brand or all different?

My avatar
silentriver
Clothie
Clothie

Postby silentriver » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Noticing it with bumgenius ones that I got second had from different people. Maybe I have just been unlucky and I've taken the life they had left in them.

Im doing a rince then 60 wash but I think I'm realising now as I have always had some sort of leak, so I guess it's a learning curve. Probably a mixture of the pre loved nappies and washing machine.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:08 pm

The elastic on bumgenius does go in the end unfortunately. They do sell repair kits for £1 though here. Also if you are only using the mf inserts that the BGs come with and are getting leaks then adding a booster may help.

My avatar
silentriver
Clothie
Clothie

Postby silentriver » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 pm

That's interesting I might try that out as a lot of my nappies the elastic has gone. Hope it's not too difficult but if that saves me buying a washing machine although I would prefer something more flexible than what I have.

Thanks for that

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies