Recommend a washer/dryer please

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Recommend a washer/dryer please

Postby Juli » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,

We've just bought a house, and will move into it in about two weeks' time. As we're coming from furnished accommodation, we need to buy lots of things, including a new washer/dryer.

It needs to be a washer/dryer, as we don't have space for two machines. I don't intend to use the dryer function much, but it's always nice to have that option, especially in winter. At the moment we're using a Hoover VHD Sensor Dry machine with a 6kg max wash load and 5kg max dry load. It works quite well and has been reliable, but the spins are very noisy and the programs are not at all adjustable.

So here's what I would like: Something really reliable, that can cope with heavy use (I do on average one to two loads a day). It has to have adjustable programming, so I can choose exactly how much water it uses (eg quite a lot more when washing nappies than when washing clothes), temperature, how many rinses, spin speed, etc. In terms of size, 6kg is the minimum, but I'm not sure yet whether I should maybe go for something bigger. Quiet spins would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Juli

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Recommend a washer/dryer please

Postby Dora » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Hmmm-if i was buying again with 20 20 hindsight id look for a bosch appliance or even miele if i was feeling flush as my dishwasher and dryer are so good with them x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 am

We have the same space issue but honestly, I don't rate washer/dryers at all. I've had 2 of them now and in my experience they do neither job well. I've had a Bosch and a Zanussi (so quite decent makes) but neither were much good TBH. The choice of wash programmes was very limited and the dryer on both was so rubbish (could only cope with a few items at a time - any more and everything just came out hot and damp) that 99% of the time we line dried anyway. Our latest one has just given up the ghost and we're replacing it with washing machine and a Lakeland heated airer for when we need things to dry a bit more quickly. :wink:

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks Dora and Claire. Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't know washer/dryers aren't as good as the individual machines. Have other people found that as well? Something to think about...

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:41 pm

My only experience of a washer dryer was in a rented flat and it was awful. We bought the flat (and it's contents) and I replaced it with a normal washing machine straight away. I didn't bother with a dryer. It all came out hot and steamy!

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

So, given these comments I've done some more reading on washer/dryers and the general consensus seems to be that they don't dry as well as proper dryers. But I wouldn't use the dryer function very often, so I'm not too worried about that. I just like to have it as an option. So now my question is, have people found that washer/dryers also don't wash as well?

Btw, the Hoover VHD SensorDry we're using at the moment actually seems to dry clothes quite well, as long as you don't overload it. It does blow steamy air into the room, which is not so nice, but then I don't use it much. And I'm also happy with how it washes, apart from the fact that I can't adjust the programs as much as I would like.

My avatar
mummy_mi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mummy_mi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Sorry I cant help much with regards to actual washer dryers as I've always used separate ones but if I were buying in that category then I'd stick to these brands.

John Lewis - flawless customer service, Bosch, AEG, LG and Miele (if money wasnt an issue).

I've had a read through the white goods forums a few times and have found tons of good information there, so maybe that might help?

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buyi ... chine.html

Oh and just saw the washer dryer section and it does look good but of course I'm sure lots of people love them and bear in mind it was written years ago
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buyi ... dryer.html

If I had limited space I'd get the best washer I could afford and the lakeland heated airer xx

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:26 pm

DONT get a combined washer/dryer unless you are specifically trying to make your life harder. They do neither task well and turn your dryer items into a hot scaulding mess. I have a condensor dryer by bosch and its awesome-tonnes better than my old vented one. It has a moisture sensor which stops drying when your items are done, has a timer and has cupboard dry control etc and a freshen cycle. Its awesome. And i reckon the newer models will have even better features again...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Another one who has never bothered even looking at washer/dryers. A washing machine with lots of programmes and options is what I'd go for. I think you'll aways be more limited if you go for a washer/dryer. I've got 4 children and we manage just fine without a tumble drier although we do have a heated airer which I use in the Winter months.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies