hf1

Soad Crystals in Every Wash?

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Soad Crystals in Every Wash?

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:47 pm

I've been ahving a few problems with my washing routine since we got a new washing machine. Our old one was pretty rubbish mostly (twas a washer/dryer) but it did use a nice lot of water to wash/rinse which was good for washing nappies!

Our new one - although great for regular laundry- just doesn't seem to get 'wet' enough to do nappies properly. We have hard water so I've always used at least a half dose of bio power. This got my nappies nice and clean and kept build up to a minimum. But when I put this amount in my new machine, the amout of bubbles it produced was insane! I had to do half a dozen extra rinses at the end to get rid of all the bubbles. But, if I use less powder, my nappies have a farmyard smell coming out of the machine.

Yesterday, as an experiment, I tried a vanish scoop of bio poweder + the same amount of soda crystals. This = much fewer bubbles in the machine and I only did a couple of extra rinses at the end. My nappies don't really smell of anything today and are lovely and clean. Soooo....what would happen if I used soda crystals in every wash? Would it damage my nappies over time? I have a lovely stash ATM and obviously don't want to ruin it!

Opinions please, ladies. :wink:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Soad Crystals in Every Wash?

Postby Shaunie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I always use soda crystals in every wash and my nappies are in lovely condition :thumbsup:

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:49 pm

How much soda crystals do you use?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Ds reacted to soda crystals-they gave him a horrid rash even with loads of rinses. Don't see why u can't put some in every wash tho.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm

I used 2 heaped table spoons of bold 2in1 & 4 formula (baby milk) scoops of soda cystals, never seemed to have a problem with using it in every wash! :thumbsup:

I used to keep the soda crystals in a formula tub & for some reason I just used the scoop too! :lol:

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks, ladies! I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a problem using it all the time. I think that's what I'll do as I can't be doing with rinsing half a dozen times each nappy wash.

@lazylexis I hope M doesn't react though :-? I've just put all of the clean nappies back together so I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I can't comment on the soda crystals question, but I was wondering... do you do a rinse at the start?
I used to do a short cold wash or rinse right at the start (since my prewash setting used hot water). This helped by stopping the smell getting set in, but it also saturated the nappies, so the water going in next was actually washing them, rather than just being soaked up by them.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:58 pm

coastal wrote:I can't comment on the soda crystals question, but I was wondering... do you do a rinse at the start?
I used to do a short cold wash or rinse right at the start (since my prewash setting used hot water). This helped by stopping the smell getting set in, but it also saturated the nappies, so the water going in next was actually washing them, rather than just being soaked up by them.

Yes, I always do a rinse before the main wash. :wink:

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies