hf1

Smelly washing machine - UPDATE p.2

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Smelly washing machine - UPDATE p.2

Postby Frances » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Our washing machine has started to really honk and I think it's because of the nappies :( We use liners but they're not always 100% effective at catching poo, so - even after some serious scraping - we often need to do a pre-rinse with nasty nappies before a wash. I've tried to do several maintenance washes but they don't make a difference. Does anyone have any foolproof tips? We're planning to buy a new machine soon and I really don't want tha to smell too :neutral:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Smelly washing machine

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Could it be mould on the seal? Ours was bad until I cleaned the door seal but it needs doing again now.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Have u emptied the filter lately?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm

My maintainance wash consists of..
- full 90 degree wash with soda crystals
- through clean of the door seal
- clean the filter out
- removing the powder drawer and cleaning it throughly and behind it - im always amazed at the buildup behind the drawer even though I clean it regularly!

Always make sure you leave the washing machine door open immediately after a wash - the buildup of mould is caused by the condensation caused by closing the door on a wet drum & door seal inside!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:21 pm

What maintenance wash are you doing? I would give it an empty wash - full cycle 90 degree with a spoon of bicarb in the powder draw and white vinegar in the softener bit, then give it a wipe down including seals, door etc when its done and prop the door open to allow it to dry out.

Dont forget to clean the soap draw and filters too if you can get to them.

I havent had a smelly machine in years but i do think airing the drum is important as anything that is constantly wet and warm is bound to cause smells.

Nappies wise just clean them off the best you can, i never had any problems with a bit of residue as long as theres nothing obvious, some stains wont matter as they all break down in water anyway and the detergent should clean the machine as well as the load.

Out of interest, do you use bio or none?

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Filter filter filter! I'm sure this will make a huge differernce. We empty ours once a month.

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:37 pm

I must admit i've never checked the filter on ours but i do keep the door & the drawer open and that makes a big difference x x

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:Could it be mould on the seal? Ours was bad until I cleaned the door seal but it needs doing again now.

Any suggestions for decent stuff to clean the seal please?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks all :hug:

I have never cleaned the filter, haven't got a clue where it is so will take a look! I usually use bio, and haven't cleaned the door seal recently.

I'll have a go with all the tips and report back :)

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies