hf1

Too early.

My avatar
DebbieP
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Too early.

Postby DebbieP » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am

....to wash baby's nappies? We are due to have some good weather early next week, so was thinking that I might start washing some of the new nappies that I have acquired to get them up to reasonable absorbency, do you think it's too early seeing as baby not due till November? Am dying to see nappies on the line :giggle: :oops: !

Also, some of the nappies are pretty WAHM coloured ones that are new, should I wash them separately from the others or can I just chuck them all in at once...I don't want dye to run (actually that sounds really stupid, I think I know the answer!!)?

Lastly, do I need to wash them, dry them and wash again or can I just put them straight into another wash without drying? And do I need to rinse in between each wash?

Think that's it...for now!

TIA

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Too early.

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 am

I wouldn't say its too soon :giggle:

I am not too concerned about getting nappies up to full absorbency before bump arrives as he will be in them for only a couple of hours at a time to begin with so will just let them build absorbency as they are used and washed, but I do know lots of people who like to build up absorbency before hand too so its really up to you! I am only planning on washing my new nappies once, but will probably give the pre loved ones a strip wash and then a couple of washes just to give them a thorough clean. You can just keep washing them as far as I remember, no need to dry in between to up absorbency :wink: Also, as for the new WAHM dyed ones. I plan to wash them separately to my plain nappies for the first few washes, and will also put a colour catcher sheet in just to be on the safe side. I have never had a nappy run before but would be gutted if all bumps stash ended up an odd colour because the dye ran :-?

I have just finished sorting all of bumps nappies and clothes out and just waiting on a couple more wraps to arrive this week then will be making a start on the washing, as plan to just do 1 baby wash a week until its all done :widesmile:

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 am

I'd say it's definitely not too early. Take advantage of the nice weather whilst you can.

No need to dry and then wash, just keep washing until you are happy with them. As PP said, you don't have to get them up to a great absorbancy for a newborn as they don't stay in them as long.

I'm very envious of nappies on the line as B has just potty trained!!

Oh, and definitely wash the coloured ones separately and put a colour catcher in. I had a preloved black itti that dyed some of my lovely natural bamboo nappies a horrible shade of grey, I was sooooo upset.

Get washing! :D

My avatar
DebbieP
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby DebbieP » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

:giggle: thanks ladies! I must remember to put colour catchers on my shopping list!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:20 am

I've done mine all by the new ones as they need more rinces so waiting to get them all before i do those one

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 pm

I wouldn't say too early either. I should get mine done soon too as I'm having a section mid November...all being well.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm

I didn't prewash any of my nb nappies at all :lookround: They were all brand new though.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies