hf1

Nappy soak?

My avatar
wizpop247
Clothie
Clothie

Nappy soak?

Postby wizpop247 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm

What do u all put in your nappy bucket?? I've seen napisan but it's so expensive for such a little box is there a homemade recipe that folk use?? Thank you xx

My avatar
PixieJemLeif
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Nappy soak?

Postby PixieJemLeif » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 pm

i dry pail saves the stinky water poo :P otherwise teatree is good helps fight smells & sanitise the nappies too x

My avatar
wizpop247
Clothie
Clothie

Postby wizpop247 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Dry pail??? I'm confused I always thought u presoaked in a bucket?? Before washing?? Xx

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 pm

I store the dirty/wet nappies in a mesh in a closed bucket. If I'm clever, I separate all the inserts before they go in, so when it comes to washing, I can just shove the whole mesh bag I.

I don't pre soak any nappies, but will give them either a cold rinse or a full on cold wash depending on how mucky they are.

I have been known to put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the bottom of the bucket to make it smell nicer, but don't often do that.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 pm

As far as I know soaking degrades elastic and pul. I also dry pail, I think that modern washing machines work better and negate the need for soaking and boiling etc. Hope that helps x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

There is no need to soak nappies in napisan or anything else before washing. Both washing machines and washing powders are much much better than they were 30 years ago so washing alone will get your nappies hygenicaly clean. Napisan etc are not good for nappies generally as they can degrade the elastic over time. Plus, wet pailing = poo soup! :puke:

Depending on the age of your baby, solid poo should be flushed down the toilet and then the nappy just placed in a dry bucket (BF baby poo is water soluble so if your LO is exclusively BF you can just chuck it straight in the pail). Some people use wetbags instead of buckets, which works well too.

Most people then wash nappies every 2-3 days. I find that doing a cold rise before the main wash is helpful. Then use 1/4 dose of biological powder (if you have soft water, more if you have hard water) at 40 or 60 degrees and you should have lovely clean nappies :D

My avatar
wizpop247
Clothie
Clothie

Postby wizpop247 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 am

Thank you for replays I get it now!! Saves me a job and seems easy enough x

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies