hf1

Stripping

My avatar
Faerydae
Clothie
Clothie

Stripping

Postby Faerydae » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Over this weekend I've been strip washing all my nappies as they were starting to smell of ammonia as soon as LO had a wee and a few were quite badly stained aswell.

So I've washed them all on my machines longest setting with soda crystals which seems to have done the trick but I have 4 nappies with VERY stubborn stains!

I can't have them in the sun as we have no washing line and I'm fairly sure our windows have a UV coating on them as I've had them in the window for over a week with no difference.

right now they're in the machine with white vinegar and bleach (not recommended I know but tried everything and only time I'll have used bleach and vinegar on them) but if this doesn't work, is there anything else I can try to remove the stains??

edit: oh and my machine won't do anything other than a cold wash :(

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Stripping

Postby g murphy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

when you are sunning them do you keep them wet? once they are dry it doesnt work. x

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Could you pop them on the windowsill outside when we get some sun? IME sunshine is the best stain remover.

My avatar
Faerydae
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Faerydae » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 pm

we don't really have a windowsill outside :( and yeah I keep them wet

just had a look at the washing machine though and this *seems* to be removing the stains from what I can see so fingers crossed! lol

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

I should imagine bleech will do it. otherwise wait until mid summer and take them to the park with you! Sunlight really does work miricles!

My avatar
Faerydae
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Faerydae » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 pm

thanks, I'll definately find a way to get them in the sun if they don't come out of the washer stain free, don't really want to wait til Summer though haha, as they were too badly stained for me to even consider using and typical two of them were my two most expensive ones! haha

My avatar
Faerydae
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Faerydae » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am

well luckily the bleach and vinegar has done the trick and aside from one of them still having a VERY light stain, they're nice and white again :)

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies