hf1

How to soften 2nd hand nappies?

My avatar
edgedem
Clothie
Clothie

How to soften 2nd hand nappies?

Postby edgedem » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Just received a tonn of brilliant new born nappies 2nd hand, a selection of little lamb size 1 (bamboo I think) & Diddy diapers.
The thing is they are all a bit.. Crispy :/

I'm ftm and new to all this so I've never washed any nappies ever! Any tips?

Also I have brand new little bloom nappies too minky & printed all micro fibre pocket nappies. How is best to wash these?

Thanks so much for your help!

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: How to soften 2nd hand nappies?

Postby shinycat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 am

If you have a tumble drier, give them a wash and then whizz in the drier and they'll soften up. If you don't, hang them up outside in the rain for a week or two, that really helps. amboo shouldn't really go crispy so that's a bit odd - I live in a very hard water area and my bamboo has never gone crispy! But cotton def does. The other thing you can do is scrunch them up in your hands, rubbing the fabric against itself. It loosens the fibres up and does make them feel softer again.

My avatar
edgedem
Clothie
Clothie

Postby edgedem » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:19 am

They are probably cotton then! Aw thank you. Should I do a full strip wash if I've got them second hand? And are the methods safe to chuck all in together (little blooms say wash up to 40 only) :(

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm

I am not familiar with Little Bloom nappies so not sure the reason why they say max 40deg. I have had nappies before that say 40deg and washed all of them at 60 anyway :lookround:

I would do a wash with full amount of powder and then rinse several times, before first use (unless you know the person they came from and are sure they were good at laundering!)

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:45 pm

I was nappies all at 60 we have avas nappies which I think little bloom are as you can put any label on them (Chinese cheap ones) I've not had any issues and dd is 11 months old.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies