hf1

Two washing questions! Staining and weaning.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Two washing questions! Staining and weaning.

Postby Bumboleo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:11 pm

You lot are always so helpful, much more so than Google :oops: So can I quickly ask your advice once again please?

1) The last couple of pooed on nappies (one per wash, lucky us, as DS only goes every few days!) have come out of the wash a bit stained!! I put this down to the fact DH rinsed them, he's not as thorough as me. They always come out pristine otherwise. So:
i) is that it now, are they stained forever? What can I do to get rid of the stain? They've been through a rinse-40 degree wash-rinse.
ii) in the future, what can I do to avoid staining?

2) DS is coming up to 6 months old - should I tweak my washing routine in any way once he starts solids?

Many thanks!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Two washing questions! Staining and weaning.

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Sun (uv) is the absolute best thing for stains. Rain too, so I'd stick them on the line for a week then re wash.I also tend to wash at 60 post weaning

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:05 pm

^^^^
What ems said :)

We always wash at 60 too, with a cool rinse first if they're really manky

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:28 am

I always do a cool rinse before the wash (it is just my prewash setting) as it loosens any poop left and also gets rid of the the urine which can have the odours set in a hot wash. As the others have said just put it in the sun to get the stains out, even on a windowsill if it is raining, a day or two is usually all you need.

I make sure I always use fleece liners and they block most of the stains. I tend to only wash on 40 unless he has a funny tummy.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 am

I'd do exactly as the others have said above. The only I'd add is to wet the nappy (can just run it under the cold tap as its already clean) before you put it outside.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Brill thanks so much! I'll try the sunshine, although it's not very sunny today.

I have read that you shouldn't wash at 60 because the PUL/elastic won't last as long? I guess if you're all doing it though it should be fine!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:26 pm

That's probably true, but also using a smaller cycle of nappies will mean they won't last as long, and tumble drying etc. I guess its got to be cost vs benefit ;-)

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 am

Sorry... one more thing... Just starting to use cloth pads - can I chuck them in a nappy wash, or is that gross?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:25 am

Bumboleo wrote:Sorry... one more thing... Just starting to use cloth pads - can I chuck them in a nappy wash, or is that gross?

I'm not using them at the moment but I did wash together. I always do a pre rinse of my nappies and rinse my pads as I go. I would put the nappies on for a rinse cycle to get out any wee / poo then I'd add the cloth pads for the main wash.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies