hf1

Help! Smelly pocket nappies! What to do?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Help! Smelly pocket nappies! What to do?

Postby anya1973 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 pm

My pocket nappies smell even after they've been washed.

I usually wash the inserts (after a cold rinse) at 60 degrees - I used to wash them at 40 degrees but noticed they were getting a bit whiffy. :shock:

I rinse the pocket nappies too and then wash them at 40 degrees. But most of the time when I get them out of the washing machine they're still a bit smelly. :?

My question is can I wash them at 60 degrees all the time or is that likely to damage the outer fabrics? I have minkee, cuddlesoft, plain PUL, patterned PUL, velboa and fleece outers.

I'm sure I shouldn't be washing them regularly at 60 degrees but everytime I wash them at 40 they still smell. :roll:

I use bio liquid and a bit of vinegar instead of conditioner.

Every month or so I run a hot wash with the washing machine empty.

Any ideas what I can do to solve this problem?

Helen xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Help! Smelly pocket nappies! What to do?

Postby flutterby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Up till now I have washed everything at 60 all toghther, am just now switching to 40!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:54 pm

We still wash all our nappies at 60 degrees and it's not harmed any of them and we've never had any issues with smelly nappies.

We need to ensure a full rinse as the only place Bella seems to have sensitive skin is on her her bum and lady parts.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Rinse at 30 before you wash and then wash at 60 - the cold rinse (or cold prewash) is VERY important for avoiding smells...

will post more tomorrow off to bed now :)

My avatar
nicola g
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nicola g » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:09 pm

tanya2007 wrote:We still wash all our nappies at 60 degrees and it's not harmed any of them and we've never had any issues with smelly nappies.

We need to ensure a full rinse as the only place Bella seems to have sensitive skin is on her her bum and lady parts.

same here, i do a full cold wash, then a full 60deg wash with 1 daz tablet and then a couple of rinse/spins and have always done so.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:13 pm

We always washed at 40 after Kayleigh turned 6 months old. We found that putting a bit of bicarb soda in the nappy bucket after each nappy was added stopped the ammonia from burning our eyes when we went to transfer them from the bucket to the wash. It also seemed to help the smell after the wash. My sister adds a little tea tree to the fabric conditioning tray, and that also seems to freshen nappies up a lot.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:16 pm

I wash all my nappies (including pockets) at 60c and haven't found any problems.

I do a 30c rinse without washing powder, followed by a 60c wash with one tablet of bio powder. That's usually sufficient to stop smells. If the nappies ever do come out honky, I'll do a maintenance wash of the machine (lots of soda crystals) and strip the nappies. To strip I do the 30c wash as normal, but then wash at 60c with a full load of detergent and then rinse and rinse until there are no bubbles left. That normally sorts it out.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:17 pm

flutterby wrote:Up till now I have washed everything at 60 all toghther, am just now switching to 40!

Have the outers been OK?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:17 pm

tanya2007 wrote:We still wash all our nappies at 60 degrees and it's not harmed any of them and we've never had any issues with smelly nappies.

Perhaps I'll try at 60 for a while and see how they go.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies