hf1

Eye wateringly bad bamboozles!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Eye wateringly bad bamboozles!

Postby Bumboleo » Sat May 07, 2016 7:06 am

Lately the bamboozles we use overnight have absolutely stunk to high heaven come morning, like really really awful, eye-watering public toilet smell. I've strip washed them and soaked them in vinegar overnight, which has worked well in the past, so does anyone have any further advice? He's not having any night feeds these days so maybe it's the more concentrated wee? :-s

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Eye wateringly bad bamboozles!

Postby LynniferT » Sat May 07, 2016 7:30 am

We find this with our bamboozles, i think it is just the fabric they are made of and concentrated wee. Im hoping now the nice weather is back that a few dries in the sunshine/fresh air will sort them out as i never had a prob with our size one bamboozles and they were dried outside ;)

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi, me again! Wondering whether to start a new post but saw this one still hanging around so thought I'd just add to it.

Basically having the same problem but with WHOLE nappy stash!! Nappies absolutely reek, honestly it's like they burn the inside of my nose the smell of wee is so strong. I strip washed our whole nappy stash before going on holiday, and it seems not to have worked which makes me very sad.

We use disposables at night these days so I can use them while I wash these bad boys too, just want to be rid of the stench. This issue coincides with me trying 'Violets' washing powder, a free sample. Maybe just a coincidence but probably not.

Current wash routine is rinse, 60 degree with half dose bio powder (switched from non bio after advice here), rinse.

Strip wash routine I did was same as above but with full dose and more rinses.

Soaking the bamboozles I was originally talking about ^^ in vinegar worked a treat but I've read that's not good for PUL, so what if I have detergent build up in the nappy shell lining as well as inserts? Also does vinegar just neutralise the smell rather than actually remove build-up?

Helllllllp!!!!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 pm

I have a button that lets me add rinses so I always add that to the nappy wash.
Change if diet?
Teething?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:47 am

In Denmark we recommend washing nappies at 70+ degrees to nautralize bacteria (which needs more than 60 degrees). My current washer only has 90 (above 60) and I have had no problems with washing pul at such a hight temp, but my experience is that the nappies don't get as clean on 60.
I do (did no kids in nappies anymore) a rinse and 90 wash with pre-wash - took care of even the smelliest diapers :giggle: Sometime I used vinegar - again no problems with pul diapers in my experience

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:47 am

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with smells. A couple of things I can think of, is your initial rinse you do cold or hot? It needs to be cold as warm / hot water will set smells. When you finish washing and look in the window when it is rinsing are there totally no bubbles left? I would do the vinegar thign again that worked last time. Have you sniffed the PUL things - they may be fine and if they do have a smell I'd probably just do a few quick vinegar (not straight) hand wash but not leave them in like the nappies. You do need to be careful with the vinegar though as it is an acid and it will deteriorate the elastic if doing soaks regualrly. However if your nappies are so horrid smelling I'd do it if it was me! Are you putting vinegar in the fabric softener drawer to help maintain freshness. Vinegar neutralises the urine from what I understand from what I've read.

I remember Louis in particular going through gross wee stages - as Christi mentioned it was usually teething related!

Aeseldyr wrote:In Denmark we recommend washing nappies at 70+ degrees to nautralize bacteria (which needs more than 60 degrees).

Isn't that weird as the rest of the world says that 60 is fine @Aeseldyr I wouldn't trust my nappies, particularly PUL and bamboo to a 90 wash!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 am

Yes it is a bit weird :giggle: But bacteria that can be in poop and the like does not die until it gets over 68 degrees @clothmama
My old washer had a 70 degree program so I used that for diapers. Breastmilk diapers does not contain the same bacteria as the solid food stage so those can go in on 60 no prob, also just pee diapers are good at 60.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for the advice!

I will definitely double check there are no bubbles left after the rinse - washing machine is in outbuilding so i usually miss the end of the cycle.

Initial rinse is a cold 'pre-wash' as far as I know but again I'll double check.

No diet changes, don't think he's teething, we're just waiting for the final molars and he's only 18 months so hopefully they're not on their way for a bit.

Maybe I'll do the odd 90 degree wash and a vinegar soak. And vinegar in the softener drawer every time. I'll see what happens!

Argh we are currently very much in a sleep regression too :x

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies